Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

German extension lines in Dimension tool
Read 9695 times
* July 21, 2009, 05:04:37 AM
German extension lines have a fixed lenght in the front and back of a dimension line - no offset as used in the States. These lines are used all over Europe and despite that it took Autodesk ages to get them integrated in AutoCad. I am sure you guys will do better.

An example of how it is done (not my architecture) is shown here:

http://www.schroederimmobilien.de/ff_webserver/pic.obj/42374-lang3%23grundriss_erdgeschoss.jpg

July 21, 2009, 08:26:33 AM

Thanks Agruhl for pointing this out and showing the example.  What dimension variable in AutoCAD controls this setting?

We'll look into this and add it to our DoubleCAD wish list.

Doug

July 21, 2009, 04:30:51 PM
The same issue came up from an Australian user in another thread.

It is good to get confirming feedback that it isn't one geography, but is needed in multiple regions.

http://forums.doublecad.com/index.php?topic=735.0

William

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

July 22, 2009, 06:20:37 AM

It seems there are two separate aspects to this:

1)  Dimension line located specific distance from object. with fixed or variable gap to object.

2) Fixed length of extension lines, with variable gap to object.

July 22, 2009, 09:12:08 AM
Yep - there would have to be a toggle for the extension line - Use Offset/Use Extesion Length, and ther would have to be two extension length fields, one for either side of the dimension line.

* February 07, 2010, 01:22:08 AM
in the netherlands we use the same extension lines

* December 23, 2011, 02:54:07 AM
No updates on this, huh?

Michael

Working with DCad XT V3.1 build 37.0
TurboCad V17 Platinum

December 29, 2011, 10:04:51 AM
Sorry Michael, this didn't make it onto the priority development list this cycle.

* January 01, 2012, 01:15:56 PM
Hi Brian,

thanks for the update.

Any other architectural features that probably made it?

I am still very, very sure about the fact that Architects are one of the target groups that are still the easiest to "bring over" to Doublecad/Turbocad by adding a few small core features that will greatly enhance the work flow.

Michael

TurboCad V17 Platinum

January 01, 2012, 04:01:56 PM
Can someone show what we're talking about here please? I went to look at the link, but am unable to do so.

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 03, 2012, 03:35:49 AM
Can someone show what we're talking about here please? I went to look at the link, but am unable to do so.

Hi Steve,

this is not the best example,

but somehow I can´t find my thread about the DIN 1356-1 anymore, that had examples.

You can see that the first dimension base line has a defined distance from the drawing, and the other dimension lines too have defined distances from the next lines. The extension lines have a defined length above the base line, and below the base line.

When I have several dimension lines with reference points inside my floorplan, I have to first snap the reference point, and then go back and either create a construction line or snap to the neighbouring dimension line that I already put in for the base point of the helper line, and THEN snap onto the neighbouring dimension line to place my new dimension line at the right height. I do find that a bit tedious.

So, it would be nice to have dimension lines that have a defined length for the helper line above the dimension base line and below the base line, so that I only have to
1) place the point that the dimension needs to go through, outside of the floorplan
2) pick the reference points that I want to have measured

I don´t think that this is an unreasonable request to have that feature for architects (I dare say that dimensioning floor plans can get a bit more complex than machine parts?), and it would add a lot of professionalism to the Architecture package.

Michael
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:29:17 AM by Michael_1138 »

TurboCad V17 Platinum

January 03, 2012, 10:34:25 AM
Michael, this is good. Thanks for posting. As we speak, I am opening the file from the link you posted, although in German, there will be items I can understand. This sgould be available and I wonder why it is not and I also wonder why it had not been picked up in BETA testing. We overlooked that one!

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 03, 2012, 11:59:50 AM
Steve, you are a beacon of hope in a somewhat bleak outlook for getting regionalized architecture features! lol lol

If you´d like a passage translated, just send me a pm or post here, I´ll then gladly translate it for you.

Thanks for looking at this! If you look at the file, the current version of the DIN-norm/german industry guideline on how to create technical drawings, you will find everything that makes a (in our part of the world) drawing a professional one that will be approved by the authorities.

It would be a huge advantage if we´d see such (to my laymen´s eyes) small improvements in the software.

See also my other post about the DIN 1356-1 type style of writing dimensions and their positioning. ;) I know, little finger and suddenly the whole arm is gone...

Michael
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:49:42 PM by Michael_1138 »

TurboCad V17 Platinum

January 03, 2012, 05:35:12 PM
OK, I see now what your talking about. We do have Baseline dimensions, but the offset from the object is a preset dimension, but not on the same line as it were. OK, I know what your on about. I wonder how Autodog does this? I need and will go and have a look.

It does make it clear to read.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 04, 2012, 04:25:05 AM
Looks like they have a button to set the length of extension lines to fixed

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/tutorial-create-an-architectural-dimension-style/

Thanks again for looking at this!

Michael

TurboCad V17 Platinum