Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

How close to LT in function
Read 1997 times
* June 08, 2009, 07:21:05 PM
It's been decades since I last used a cad program, so I need some help getting a project started. Is DoubleCad close enough to LT function to use tutorial type books for LT? And if I were to get a LT book, for which version. There seems to be a new version every year!

Larry
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:22:42 PM by baithog »

June 09, 2009, 07:55:12 AM
Baithog -

Not really, since DoubleCAD is a work-alike, and not a clone of LT. While many of the functions are the same, as are many commands, the subtle differences might make the tutorial book significantly less useful.  Most tutorial books are written in a step-by-step manner with exact sequences. There will be points in those sequences that do not work or are done slightly differently in DoubleCAD, and I suspect that could lead to some frustration or confusion. The general concepts and general drawing pricipals are the same so at the high level a tutorial book for LT might help in those areas. As for version - I would stick to 2008 or previous because we do not use a Ribbon interface, the DoubleCAD most closely parallels the AutoCAD classic interface.