Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

save hidden line view as dxf
Read 17525 times
* May 17, 2009, 02:11:44 PM
hi, thanks for doublecad XT...great!

is there a way to save a hidden line view as a 2d dxf file?

* May 18, 2009, 09:09:57 AM
I'm not sure but -- perhaps you could try EPS printing, and importing it back into DCad.

May 18, 2009, 11:50:58 AM
Hey Caddict,

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.  Could you explain it a bit?  You see, Hidden Line is just a camera view option.  Saving as .dxf or .dwg or something will save the geometry, but the camera option is something you set in the application.  So when you save as a .dxf, then re-open the .dxf you will see the wireframe view.  Just go to View - Camera and select Hidden Line again.

If you want a flat file like a .jpg of the hidden line view, that is possible.

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

May 18, 2009, 12:13:30 PM
I think maybe the OP wants something like the FLATSHOT command found in ACAD that in essence makes a 3D drawing into a 2D perspective view drawing.

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

* May 18, 2009, 12:19:41 PM
makr...can't see how to do eps printing...would i need a separate driver?

william...it is a strange request...in my present cad app, the hlr saves a flat version of the current view as a vector drawing within the current file.

then the drawing can be edited as required. i guess in doublecad this editing would be done in layout space.

it would be quite handy if i could save such a flat drawing as dxf for import into another program.

nick...exactly!

thanks all

* May 19, 2009, 04:34:27 AM
I'm sorry - you're right - I got it confused with Autocad.
Used to be the preferred method for export to render in Photoshop, since it maintains scale and is a vector format. Now it may be PDF. I wonder if WMF would work.
Perhaps eps export and import could be a feature request. At least till PDF import is in DCad.

* May 22, 2009, 06:50:22 PM
here's a partial (crazy?) solution:

print the layout to an external pdf writer (eg Cute PdfWriter)
import the pdf into inkscape (newest cutting edge version)
vector editing can be done
export as dxf (won't work with older versions of inkscape)

* May 22, 2009, 07:17:44 PM
Hmm...It seems a bit more complicated (/longer), but it should work. I suppose, if it was a question of some minor editing, you could do that in Inkscape only -- and finish it off there. How good are the results?

OT, but, since you seem to be an Inkscape user, can you tell what are the advantages over photoshop/gimp for rendering (plans, elevations etc) Offhand I can think of stuff like gradients in roads, and using the fractal tree editor. Any others?

[Just been taking a look at the upcoming Inkscape 0.47: Seems like a few Cad features creeping in -- snaps, 3 pt circle, circle w radius etc. Not to mention DXF import etc. Looks like I should be really taking another look at this SW ;) ]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:53:05 PM by makr »

* May 23, 2009, 12:07:28 AM
Just checked this: you can export eps/wmf/pdf...with PDFCreator (and probably with pdf 995 -which I don't have). Doublecad imports WMF (and, perhaps in the Pro version, EPS too). Perhaps you could try this:

(Assuming that you've installed it) Press Ctl-P to bring up the Print dialogue box. Select the PdfCreator printer in the options box; click "yes" to everything. Another dialogue box opens (to give the filename etc). Click on "options" , then "save" - and in the "standard save format" change to WMF. Make any other changes required, and click on "save"

You can then open the file in DC and edit as required.

Hope this helps. 

(P.S. PDF export also saves transparency -- so, if you export in groups of layers, this would be an ideal way to "finish" it in Photoshop/Gimp/Inkscape...)

* May 23, 2009, 07:12:09 PM
thanks, that does help

i didn't see a wmf option in PDFCreator (v0.9.8) but i did see svg which is great. i'm sure there must be another app out there which does handle wmf...maybe pdf995 as you say.

Offhand I can think of stuff like gradients in roads, and using the fractal tree editor. Any others?

i just like the idea of using a vector-based utility seeing that the whole workflow to that point is vector-based. another thing is that if while rendering, you see small line or text edit required, you can do it directly in inkscape.

and as you point out inkscape has an ever-growing arsenal of tools, extensions and features

* May 23, 2009, 11:28:02 PM
I'm sorry, you're right - there's no wmf printing in PdfCreator. But, otoh, DCad does have wmf export, so you can do it directly.

The problem with Inkscape is that, though a wonderful (opensource) program, it lacks proper documentation. And (at least in v0.46) the layer management is nowhere near intuitive. Still -- I've downloaded 0.47 - and as much documentation as I could find - and will give it another go.

I believe they're working with greater Gimp compatibility, too, so that should be another plus.

btw, Thanks for reminding me about Inkscape. I've a strong hunch that it's going to be a lot more important in my workflow in the next few months.

May 24, 2009, 08:58:00 AM

IMSI Designcad 3D Max will save hidden line views of 3d objects to a 2D file.  Unfortunately not free, but nearly, at 99.95.

I just also tried importing a 3D model of a house I've been working on in Designcad into DblCAD XT pro, and it came in with all layers, colors, etc intact, and I was able to display it in 3D shaded mode.

Unfortunately DblCAD does not export the 3D drawing back to Designcad, but Designcad will usually import 3d DWG files adequately.

Designcad makes it real easy to draw 3D geometry.

* May 24, 2009, 12:16:38 PM
thanks, Rob...will take a look at Designcad.

makr, have you seen this guide to inkscape:

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/index.php

another obvious plus is its availability to linux-leaning people
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:18:55 PM by caddict »

* May 24, 2009, 06:59:13 PM
Thanks, caddict - that looks like it will do the job for now. Although I'm not a linux user (I admire it, but there's no way I can think about it for the next 3-6 months)

And thanks, Rob too - Designcad seems to have developed quite a bit from the last time I saw it.  (Then it was interesting but sort of impractical. ) I read, from the site, that it also has macros - something not in Dcad free. How does it stack up to Sketchup? (if you ignore the huge amounts of Ruby scripts for SU)

May 24, 2009, 09:21:17 PM
You can download the free DWF printer* from autodesk, print whatever view (hidden line will give you FLATSHOT like results) you want and then open the resulting dwf in DCAD.  (I haven't tested this yet, but it should work)

*Not the built-in DWF save-as in DCAD

Edit: Just tested and it does work pretty nicely.  Just be sure to print/save as a DWF and not a DWFx (DCAD doesn't know what a DWFx is).  Thw only caveat is that the imported DWF will have all geometry in a layout (scaled of course).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:30:04 PM by Nick »

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D