Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

DoubleCAD XT and DoubleCAD XT PRO Maintenance Release 1 (M1) Nominations
Read 13802 times
April 08, 2009, 08:40:14 AM

Hello DoubleCAD Users,

As we prepare to solidify our DoubleCAD products even more with Maintenance Release 1 (M1), we want to make sure that we have captured any bugs and errors that you may have encountered.  If you have not reported it already, please let us know of any additional problems you may have encountered for nomination to be fixed in M1.  We are committed to maintain a reliable and quality product so your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

* April 08, 2009, 10:24:15 AM
Hi. Would help if we could have a list of known bugs. That way we'd know that bugs we're thinking of reporting (or have already reported) aren't in the list. Some bugs reported may have got lost in the mail, so to say.  :)

April 08, 2009, 11:03:11 AM
Hi. Would help if we could have a list of known bugs.

Hi Makr,

Go ahead and report the bugs even if you are not sure if it has been reported already.  This will help us validate how common the bug is based on the number of reports.

Thanks.

* April 12, 2009, 10:01:23 PM
Well, here are some that I've experienced:
1. Cannot use selection rectangle when rotating the UCS (workplane). You can select by clicking, however.
2. Hotkeys for Select (spacebar, shift+spacebar) do not work with many tools - rectangle, circle, offset etc. The only way to get out these is to manually click on "select"
3. "Relocate origin" button (icon) missing in DC Pro toolbar (Present in the std. version).
4. DC Std. cannot open files saved in the Pro version.
5. Direct input - or, rather, TABbing in D.I. - doesn't work with some tools, e.g. rectangle. Type in distance, TAB to next, and the previous distance resets to cursor coordinates.
6. In Gradient Hatch interface, naming/renaming bug (Retrogade bug according to Brian ;) )
7. Impossible to move end of a wall at corner - without moving the attached "autoheal-3d" wall. (Autolink and Autoheal are turned on whether you want it or not.)
8. Cannot snap to midpoint of arc. (Can this be called a bug?)

Will try to add to this, as and when I remember/find them. Hope to see them all throoughly squashed in the Maintainence release. ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 02:31:55 AM by makr »

April 13, 2009, 06:41:50 AM

I think there were several issues with Dimension styles raised - see here

http://forums.doublecad.com/index.php?topic=323.0

* April 13, 2009, 08:36:12 AM
...Which gives me thsi:
"An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. "
Has it, perhaps, been classified as Secret ?  ;D

April 13, 2009, 11:49:26 AM
It's in the beta group.

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

April 13, 2009, 11:57:33 AM
Moderators - help me out here, where bugs were originally posted in beta forum, I see now that I can't link to them.

Having asked for a list of bugs here, is it OK to paste in the text of the earlier reported bugs, or not talk about them, or what?

Or is this request strictly for new bugs found by non-beta forum participants?? 

For example there were several issues reported regarding leaders.  Should we bring forward to here for all to see, or are those old lists still being looked at?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:00:32 PM by Rob S »

April 13, 2009, 01:40:58 PM
Rob -
Rest assured that all of the suggestions made on the Beta section, have been taken seriously and all are under consideration. Many if not most are on the roadmap for current and future development.  What we are trying to do here is acquire new input. If possible I would like to keep this thread for any new issues from anyone and for issues from new users that are not a part of the beta team. That way we can gauge significance and severity from a larger sample set of users.
The M1 is going to be on a Very short cycle, and is targeted at those issues that are most egregious (XT & XT PRO file compatibility), and that we can rectify in a short period (mostly requests from beta testers, and enhancements rolling out from TC16).

April 13, 2009, 04:01:05 PM
Something needs to be done with ACAD mtext columns.  Currently it gets brought in as one single long column and creates a big mess in some cases.

Revclouds!

Pickpoint Hatches should work with xrefs.

Mixed numbers (whole & fractional) in input boxes (dynamic input).

Round tripping from ACAD to DCAD to ACAD completely kills all dynamic blocks and makes them into regular, stupid, blocks.

Make preference settings part of Workspace or at least give some way to save them.  Whenever DCAD crashes these need to be reset. (very annoying)

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

* May 01, 2009, 10:15:50 AM
I have spent more time with the program and here are some things I see.  Some of this stuff may have already been addressed, but I am a new user just working basically with default settings.  If anyone had any suggestions for the frustrations I am having, feel free to comment.

Bug Items:

Program randomly creates point that all commands originate from, like a snap point that you canít work around.  Had to close the program in order to get it to go away.  Happens from time to time.  Last time I did it, it happened while I was using the extend command.

Escape to get out of a command does not work on many commands.

Wish List Items:

When drafting with most commands, I would like to just enter a dimension with out having to tab several times in order to get a distance I want.  (i.e. Autocad and Sketcup)  I personally have never drawn from one main origin point in a drawing.  When I move, copy, stretch, etc. it is always from the origin point of the object I am editing.

Having to move an origin point every time I move an object is a step that is very tedious.  Would much rather have a move command more akin to Autocad, that would allow me snap to the point I want to move from then snap to the point to move to.

I love being able to select a group of objects and quickly edit them, so the dynamic editing stuff is a step in the right direction. Love the simplicity of the rotate command.  Something I think that would make your dynamic editing even more powerful is if the corner drag handles scaled an object or group of objects and the center drag handles did a stretch command.  Maybe you could include a shift+drag that constrains the proportions.

Why two copy commands?  For me copy is worthless, and vector copy is all I will ever use.  The copy command is at least one thing that Autocad got close to right, and Sketchup nailed.  I would love to see a dynamic edit that worked like Sketchup.  You can select an object, snap to a point on that object to move it, press control to copy it, and enter x + a number to create an array.  Gets rid of several steps.

General Thoughts:

Let me just first thank you for creating an affordable program for 2D drafting.  I think there is an enormous market potential for this software.  If I could offer one suggestion it would be this: emulate the Sketchup model of software development rather than the Autodesk one.  By that I mean create a software with itís own identity, simplicity, and is much less convoluted that Autocad.  I think you are doing that to a point, but I would like to see it go further.

It seems to me that every new version of Autocad I have used tends to add more and more extraneous features I donít ever use,. They have so many years of baggage that have made it into version after version of the software for fear angering long time users.  Autocad did not make any significant improvements to the program from version 14 to Acad 2006 IMO.  It was the same program with more ďflareĒ.

Sketchup on the other hand has created a very basic set of powerful tools that anyone can quickly learn, and for the most part had added features that improve the day to day usability of the software.  Since the first week I used SU I have longed for a 2D drafting program that was as easy to use.  Powerful doesnít have to be complicated.

Congratulations on a great piece of software, I am excited to see where it goes. 

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

May 01, 2009, 07:38:31 PM
Great feedback.  We'll have a number of discussions about this post I'm sure.

There are a few items that sounded a bit odd, that I think might be settings issues, in particular the origin issues you mentioned.  I'll check with Brian, as he can probably diagnose pretty quickly.

Thanks again for the post.

William

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

* May 03, 2009, 08:02:26 AM
It is quite possible that in some of the items I mentioned, I am just doing it wrong.  :)

May 04, 2009, 10:21:54 AM
I have spent more time with the program and here are some things I see.  Some of this stuff may have already been addressed, but I am a new user just working basically with default settings.  If anyone had any suggestions for the frustrations I am having, feel free to comment.

Bug Items:

Program randomly creates point that all commands originate from, like a snap point that you can’t work around.  Had to close the program in order to get it to go away.  Happens from time to time.  Last time I did it, it happened while I was using the extend command.

The point I believe you are refferring to is the "last point used" Some commands depend on this function in some cases, but it should not intefere with normal operation. Could you expand on the sequence that is causing a problem - espesially with the  extend command? Pictures would also be helpful.

Escape to get out of a command does not work on many commands.

We are working on this - there should be substantial improvement in v2.

Wish List Items:

When drafting with most commands, I would like to just enter a dimension with out having to tab several times in order to get a distance I want.  (i.e. Autocad and Sketcup)  I personally have never drawn from one main origin point in a drawing.  When I move, copy, stretch, etc. it is always from the origin point of the object I am editing.

When you pick up an object (click on the Yellow reference point) two "Delta" fields appear. These allow you to move objects relative to the objects current position. In future versions these fields will appear whenever an object is selected. rotating and scaling are already relative to the objects reference point.

Having to move an origin point every time I move an object is a step that is very tedious.  Would much rather have a move command more akin to Autocad, that would allow me snap to the point I want to move from then snap to the point to move to.

We are working on that.

I love being able to select a group of objects and quickly edit them, so the dynamic editing stuff is a step in the right direction. Love the simplicity of the rotate command.  Something I think that would make your dynamic editing even more powerful is if the corner drag handles scaled an object or group of objects and the center drag handles did a stretch command.  Maybe you could include a shift+drag that constrains the proportions.

Already in. Holding down SHIFT while dragging the blue handle of the selector does constraing proportions, and the center drag handle do strech the selected objects.

Why two copy commands?  For me copy is worthless, and vector copy is all I will ever use.  The copy command is at least one thing that Autocad got close to right, and Sketchup nailed.  I would love to see a dynamic edit that worked like Sketchup.  You can select an object, snap to a point on that object to move it, press control to copy it, and enter x + a number to create an array.  Gets rid of several steps.

The "Copy" command allows you to rubber stamp. This is often useful for make multiple copies that are note constained to a more formal pattern.

RE: SketchUP copying.  We will be adding a "Make Copy" option to the selector in M1. This will make copy the object derived from any rotation move or scale that you do.  The ability to specify the number of copies would be and excellant in further future additions.

General Thoughts:

Let me just first thank you for creating an affordable program for 2D drafting.  I think there is an enormous market potential for this software.  If I could offer one suggestion it would be this: emulate the Sketchup model of software development rather than the Autodesk one.  By that I mean create a software with it’s own identity, simplicity, and is much less convoluted that Autocad.  I think you are doing that to a point, but I would like to see it go further.

It seems to me that every new version of Autocad I have used tends to add more and more extraneous features I don’t ever use,. They have so many years of baggage that have made it into version after version of the software for fear angering long time users.  Autocad did not make any significant improvements to the program from version 14 to Acad 2006 IMO.  It was the same program with more “flare”.

Sketchup on the other hand has created a very basic set of powerful tools that anyone can quickly learn, and for the most part had added features that improve the day to day usability of the software.  Since the first week I used SU I have longed for a 2D drafting program that was as easy to use.  Powerful doesn’t have to be complicated.

Congratulations on a great piece of software, I am excited to see where it goes. 

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thanks for the input
-B

* May 04, 2009, 03:45:52 PM
Thanks Brian,

Can't wait for the new release!