Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Through May 23, 2009: DoubleCAD XT Pro available at AutoCAD LT upgrade price!
Read 5802 times
March 25, 2009, 09:58:50 PM
Although we didn't plan on discounting DoubleCAD XT Pro at the time of launch, we felt that with the launch of AutoCAD LT 2010 that it made sense for us to eliminate the financial comparison between an AutoCAD LT upgrade purchase and a DoubleCAD XT Pro purchase. 

So from now through May 23 we will honor the LT upgrade price of US$575!  And... you don't have to be an owner of one of the latest versions of AutoCAD LT to get this price.

The announcement can be found here:  http://www.doublecad.com/Company/NewsEvents/PressReleases/24March2009/tabid/1223/Default.aspx

And the $575 price can be found in the shopping cart when you purchase.

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

* April 16, 2009, 03:04:21 PM
Is there any thought to offering an upgrade price for TurboCad users similar to what TC upgrades cost?  I thought long and hard about switching to DoubleCad pro rather than upgrade to TurboCad 16.  In the long run I probably would get more of what I need with DC (a stable production tool) and less of what I don't need (3D creation abilities of TC) which I now do in SketchUp.  I, however, bit the bullet and purchased TC16 platinum upgrade from 15 for less than 1/2 of the cost of DC pro.

I certainly think IMSI Design should think about this as there are probably quite a few TC users like me that use the program for production that would switch in a minute if we were not asked to pay a premium to move.  I was hoping that some of the production enhancements (like the auto dual/selection window) from DC would appear in TC16.   Unfortunately they did not. 

I have not used DC xt on a project as yet but I follow the forum and like the direction that the staff indicates it may be going.  I also believe that XT is too light for a real production tool but pro is probably a different story.  I suspect that it may diverge more from TurboCad as time goes on with more  and more production enhancements that have been asked for in TC for many versions.  Giving a price break to current TC users would put it in the hands of those who are already familiar with the interface which would jump start its evaluation by serious professionals who are looking for a production tool.

* April 16, 2009, 06:03:14 PM
If you don't mind my asking -- Which are the production enhancements that users have long been asking for, and not got? Funnily enough, I'd been taking a re-look at Turbocad because of DC (I have TC14 Std, lying disused) - and finding that things were not a awkward as I'd first thought (inputting dimensions, especially). Still, it's nowhere near as convenient as, for example,  typing DY to go directly to the DeltaY input.

I was hoping that a modified command line - ala Sketchup, and a lot of other 3d programs - would make it's way to TurboCad. Apparently not (Can you confirm this?). When Autocad is quite happy to borrow features from it's competitors (Floating menus: Intellicad, Polar Tracking...), I don't see any reason for Turbocad not to do so. In the computer world, it's all about convergence, anyway.

Just my 2c.

April 17, 2009, 01:41:29 PM
coxwelljon -

We have been giving some consideration to an upgrade/crossgrade pricing for DC expressly for TC users. While there would certainly be some break in the price, I think I can say definatively that it will not be as low as a TC to TC upgrade.

Some features did migrate from DC to TC e.g. drafting palette enhancements, file filter improvements, Dimension Styles. However, many did not because they were inappropriate, or would result in de-featuring.
Regarding "dual selection" we call it "bi-directional selection" it was not ported for the following reason: The two applications have different code for the selector, and the TurboCAD selector is much more powerful, and has many more options (sans the 'dual' mode) These would be lost if we just plugged in te DC selector.
For similar reasons the Command line was not ported to TC. Future versions of TC will probably see the features, and some further features from TC will likely migrate into DC. Indeed, while these products will diverge, they will also cross pollinate.

If possible - could you clarify as too why you think XT is "Too Light" for production worK?

April 17, 2009, 01:50:00 PM
makr -

Whan you referenced "Which are the production enhancements that users have long been asking for" were you talking about TurboCAD, or DoubleCAD?

* April 17, 2009, 06:16:51 PM
Turbocad.
Well, Doublecad hasn't existed for so long that users can ask for improvements "for long". Sorry for the confusion anyway.  :)

April 18, 2009, 09:02:11 PM
Cool - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misreading.

May 19, 2009, 07:25:35 AM
I wanted to "bump" this post as to highlight it again for anyone:  the 60-day promotion is coming to an end on May 23, so the time is short to take advantage of this offer.  That is a significant $120 savings if you are considering the step up to Pro!

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...