Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Error opening dwg files
Read 18084 times
* March 06, 2009, 05:21:11 AM
Hi people!

I'd love DoubleCAD if I could open DWG files with it :)

So far I could open only a few drawings, quite small and simple ones. It failed to open all the larger ones. All of them were made using AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009. First I thought maybe the problem is that they contain 3D models, but I tried a lot which surely don't and it didn't work.

It either gives a message that DoubleCAD failed to open the drawing or it brakes like this: "DoubleCAD(tm) for Windows Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.". Pffff

I just activated it, thinking maybe that'll help, but no.
I'm using Win XP prof x64... is that possibly the problem?

I'd gladly use this software, 'cause it's great. Please help! THANX!!

Happy nice springtime for everyone on the north half of the planet :)

Misu
Budapest

March 06, 2009, 05:39:39 AM
Would it be possible for you to let us see any of the files to get a feel for what is causing you problems?  Any files that don't open that we can put in the hands of our development team can help them resolve the problems.  If you can't share any of them (even privately rather than on the forum) can you describe them to us -- what application created them and was the last to save them in .dwg format; are they solid models, surface models, 2D plans; are they all > xxx number of layers or use special plugins... ?  Any of that information could really help us.  Thanks

william

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

* March 07, 2009, 12:22:35 AM
Hello William!

Thanks for four quick reply! I attached 3 files, which DoubleCAD XT didn't open.

The first one is huge, it's an architectural plan of a Burger King, I got it from a procurer and I don't know what software was used for drawing it. I edited it in AutoCAD 2009 and it gave a message when opening: it wasn't made with Autodesk software. Anyway ACAD opened it correctly, DCAD didn't.
The second is a small kitchen floorplan I made for a friend with ACAD 2009.
The third one was also drawn completely in ACAD 2009.

They contain no solids or surfaces, but everything else (dimensions, hatches, annotations, texts, some blocks...)

DCAD crashes when I try to open the first and the second and it gives an error message for the third.

If needed I can post some more.

Hope this will help!

Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:49:25 AM by Misu »

* March 07, 2009, 03:14:03 AM
Just tried it here. The first one doesn't open - as you said - but the other two open fine, without any problems or warnings. It doesn't open in Autocad 2007 either. I feel that it may have been created with Autocad Architecture or similar.Do you have the Object Explorer plugins installed in your comp? : this may explain why your Autocad opens them, and no other programs do.

But perhaps someone else could also try and confirm.

* March 07, 2009, 04:26:30 AM
Hi,

I just tried the BurgerKing file and it opens on my machine (XP Pro 32) on both XT and XT Pro. But there seem to be problems which I think are mainly related to the fonts and perhaps the language in use. I opened it also in ZWCad 2009 and it asks me for missing fonts, but opens the same as DoubleCAD.

The other area with a slight problem might be in the reading of the dim's.

For the rest of the drawing, I think DoubleCAD makes an excellent job of the actual CAD geometry.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but it might be helpful to find out what program the drawing was created with and get some info on the fonts used by the creator of the drawing.

Please find attached some Screenshots of the BurgerKing drawing.

Martin

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:51:56 AM by Turbomart »

March 07, 2009, 10:00:25 AM
Misu,

it sounds like others aren't having the same problems opening the files (maybe some problems, but not as much).  It makes me wonder if we might have another problem, like whether or not it is an issue with how we interact with your localized version of Windows. 

Do you know anyone with a similar setup: Magyar Windows and XT I assume?  It would be interesting to see if they have any difficulty.  I can probably find someone with that configuration if it isn't easy for you.  If they can open some of the docs that you can't, then it might be worth reinstalling.

I do wonder if some Vista installations don't have more trouble than others:  with Vista it is probably always best to install by right clicking and selecting to "Run As Administrator" or installations can have some problems.

Also... I just want to make sure that it isn't a problem posting these drawings.  If there are customer or copyright issues we could take them down.  But thanks for sharing them, and any others.  If you have any that can't be made public just send them by email to wmanning @imsidesign.com -- we're always interested in testing them!

Thanks,
William

* March 08, 2009, 10:55:23 AM
I have decided to take the files off as their previous display has served its purpose!

Martin

* March 08, 2009, 11:40:22 PM
The two smaller files open fine in TurboCAD (Pro V15).  Dimensions also.

* March 11, 2009, 01:42:48 PM
I also am having problems with opening some dwg and dxf files. I get the following message with the problem files  "Failed to open (file name): Unknown Error".
I then get the Unhandled exception window and Doublecadd shuts down.
A major bummer.
Seasdes

March 11, 2009, 04:20:33 PM
with "a lot of files" is definitely a bummer.  Can you share any of them of with us -- even privately?  If they are too big to email, and you can't post them we can make other arrangements.

Also, we would love to know in what application they were created and in what application they were last saved in.  And if you are using them in AutoCAD or another application on a regular basis it would be useful to know -- anything that helps us figure out more about these issues.  There are some applications, typically more than 4 years old, that didn't always create proper .dwg files and they couldn't always be opened even by AutoCAD. 

If it is a case of some obscure plug-in, or custom object types that we choke on, we'd love to find it and fix it too, hence, any information on what's inside or how it was created definitely helps us.

Thanks for any help you can give us,
William

* March 14, 2009, 04:48:05 AM
Thanks guys for all the replies!
My OS is not hungarian, it's english XP 64bit. Is it possible that the 64 bit is the problem? Is there a 64bit version of DCAD?

And there's no copyright problem, it's good if more people can try it. I attach one more. This is quite simple, a floorplan which I just drew in ACAD 2009 64bit. It contains absolutely no 3D and nothing really special just a custom hatch from the ACAD library with roof pattern. The font is Arial which is one of the most common ones.

...I just tried it without the special hatch and it still crashes...:(

DoubleCAD failed to open it. I tried DWG and DXF in 2007/2004/2000 also.

I attached two dwg files. Can anyone open them with DCAD?

I hope we'll find the solution...

Thanks again!

M
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:51:24 AM by Misu »

* March 14, 2009, 07:06:03 AM
 Misu,

I could open up the Floorplan 01.dwg with no problem.  I could not open the Floorplan 01 ACAD2000.dwg drawing.  I'm using an AMD processor with built in video on Windows Vista.

Rick

* March 14, 2009, 09:51:53 AM
Hi Misu,

I just tried both files and was able to open them in DoubleCAD XT and DoubleCad XT Pro.

The File Floorplan_01 opened in both without any problems.

The File Floorplan_01_ACAD2000 will open in both as well if I select setup in the opening file window and then tick recover then click ok and then click open.

I hope this helps!  :)

Martin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:54:21 AM by Turbomart »

* March 15, 2009, 12:33:11 AM
Well not really. At least I'm glad that DCAD works well (at everyone else...:))

When I tried to open Floorplan 01.dwg it just crashed saying:
"DoubleCAD(tm) for Windows Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." You know send/dontsend

With Floorplan 01 ACAD2000.dwg (which is actually the same file saved in dwg 2000 format) I don't reach any opening window, it says "Failed to open file"

I try to reinstall it, maybe that'll help. If not, I can't imagine anything else to cause this problem than the OS, which is - as I mentioned before - Windows XP Pro 64 bit. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Do anyone use the same OS here?

Nice day You shall have :) (the yoda style)

Misu

* March 15, 2009, 01:31:04 AM
Hi Misu,

Try this one!

Open DoubleCAD XT, then select the open folder; then the open file window opens; then select the file; and also select DWG R14 - 2009; then click the setup button on the lower left and select recover;click ok and then click open. It works for me every time!

If that does not work, I can't see it being a DoubleCAD problem.

Hope this helps ! :D

Martin