Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Doublecad-blender integration
Read 13967 times
March 01, 2009, 06:11:45 AM
Hi guys, I had already posted this as a reply in the general discussion forums, but I thought it would be interesting to showcase it here as well, to find it easily  ;).
Copy-pasted from the other forum:
I used to use 3dsmax/Autocad and had problems with dwgs even when being products of the same company! It usually has to do with saving using the latest dwg version available. I've found that the best working format, specially for cross-compatibility and portability, is the dwg2000 format. It's the only one that never gives me problems. ;)
But now, and after not being able to pay for expensive yearly updates for 3dsmax anymore, I totally switched my workflow to blender and using inexpensive/free CAD alternatives like intellicad or A9cad. But now that DoubleCad is out, and as you guys say "We're trying to shake up the CAD world", this is a real CAD revolution! I'm making DoubleCAD my one and only cad drawing application and I'm promoting it in the blender communities as much as I can.
With blender, the way to go is DXF, I just tried it with DoubleCAD and it works flawlessly! Here are some screenies:
1. The file my client brings me:

2. My cleaned-up version in Dcad, then saved as DXF:

3. The DXF imported into blender:

4. Initial modeling in blender:

5. Finished model:

6. A test render:

It feels as if DXF is a more pure and sharing-oriented file format ;)

But anyway, I must say after all these years of trying CAD alternatives to work with blender, this is the first true professional-grade software in the market to offer so many benefits and features! Even the pro version has an attractive price for many design studios that already use blender as their main 3d modeling-rendering application. Dcad just closed the circle!

Congrats and a million thanks DoubleCAD team!

regards,
Alvaro

March 01, 2009, 09:11:17 AM
Thank you Alvaro for your ideas, suggestions, and for spreading the word.  Our success or failure with DoubleCAD will probably depend a lot on users like you that help us tell more people about it, so we really appreciate your help and enthusiasm!

William

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

March 01, 2009, 11:27:03 AM
Thanks Wmanning for the warm welcoming. It is a very nice community you guys got here around such an interesting and particular product. I see great things coming for the future of DoubleCAD. I hope to share the projects and any experiences I may run into in such learning process.  :) LOL, that almost sounded like a pledge!  ;)

regards,
Alvaro

* May 04, 2009, 06:50:26 AM
Hi Alvaro

Very impressive, excellant work.

I believe I will look into the blender software.

Terry

May 12, 2009, 06:56:05 PM
Thanks Tmunson!  ;)

I really encourage you to pick up and learn blender. It's an impressive 3d software that will complement your 2d work done in Doublecad enormously. Blender is growing at gigantic paces with people from all over the world contributing to its development.

If you need any help on getting started do not hesitate to contact me for assistance ;)

regards,

Alvaro

* May 13, 2009, 04:59:22 AM
And there is always the option of using one of the blender render exporters. You can then tie up your computer for ages running luxrender etc. and get truly photorealistic results.

* May 13, 2009, 04:01:03 PM
I tried to find the software, Blender, at www.blender.com., but that does not appear to be the proper web site to obtain this software. Could you advise. Thanks

Terry

May 13, 2009, 04:06:51 PM

* May 13, 2009, 05:23:34 PM
Thank you Brian.

Terry

* December 11, 2009, 01:50:07 AM
very nice results!