Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Training Material
Read 18918 times
February 05, 2009, 06:47:40 PM
For users new to the world of CAD, I will be posting training material within the next week or so. Once it is ready, I shall post a link as to where you may download from. It will be in pdf format.

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

February 28, 2009, 08:51:05 PM
Interesting!
Were you ever able to develop the pdfs? I'd be interested in checking your material out. :D

regards,
Alvaro

* March 02, 2009, 10:50:08 AM
I am using "Exercise Workbook for Beginng Autocad"  by Cheryl Shrock.  The appeal is 30 lessons that get you doing things in reasonable chunks.

* March 02, 2009, 10:54:17 AM
You can help me by making a concordance between Doublecad XT and Autocad commands.  Also, command line usage is not documented at all in the included pdf.  A list of the commands available would be helpful.

If you are going to do introductory material, I believe the workbook approach is best.  I have tried general reading of cad materials and watching turbocad movies with little success.

March 07, 2009, 09:38:56 AM
Alvaro, I save all the work as pdf.

Maurice, I have seen those books and they are good. As for your comment for commands, this is a very good idea and I can put something together.

My training book/material has taken a back seat at present as I have been damn busy and it has taken it's toll at home too as I cannot get some work done round the house. As soon as I am done, I shall post.

For some of my work for DesignCad, you can go to www.designcadunleadshed.com and there on the lefthand side of the home page you'll find some downloads, look for tutorials.zip

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

March 07, 2009, 10:06:41 AM
Steve, thanks for keeping this on your list.  Even though we miss having you here as often we are really happy to hear when people are "damn busy" as too many people aren't busy enough these days.

Maurice, the Getting Started Guide should be a PDF in your program folder; or you can get it here:  http://www.doublecad.com/Support/LearningCenter/Documentation/tabid/1157/Default.aspx

In the Getting Started Guide we have a section that discusses the Command Line, and a section on differences with AutoCAD to help AutoCAD users get up to speed quickly.

It isn't a complete command reference or anything, but a quick high-level conceptual aid.

I hope it helps.

-- William

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

March 07, 2009, 10:20:12 AM
William, my personal opinion here is that the 'recession' is something that is being put togther by the 'spin doctors' and what has happened on the stock market has simply got things back to normal, getting rid of all the fly-by-nighters. There are plenty of companies down here that are still busy and only down about a 1/3 in business. I know my company has been getting more enquiries form overseas. I got 3 in one day! So I guess the $ has got something to do with that now. Our exchange rate is about $NZ1 = $US0.51. It was up in the $US0.70's.

Yeah, the tutorial work is long work as you have to keep checking and also you know how to 'just do it', you have to put it down in words.

I am taking the morning off going to the gym today, just to take a break as Lyn and I are heading out for lunch later for some 'time for us'.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

March 07, 2009, 01:35:44 PM
Thanks a lot Steve for the good news. :)
But I can't seem to be able to access your website:
http://www.designcadunleadshed.com/

is it down?

regards,
Alvaro

March 07, 2009, 05:00:47 PM
His site isn't down, but there is a typo in his link above.

Try:
http://www.designcadunleashed.com/

That should work...

-- William

March 07, 2009, 05:10:18 PM
thanks wmanning, you link works! :)

I found the file "tutorial.zip" but it's about designcad 3dmax 16, this one:
http://www.designcadunleashed.com/downloads/tutorials/Tutorial.zip

Steve, is this the one you mean?
I downloaded the designcad tutorial anyway to check it, and I was gladly impressed by the resemblance with doublecad xt  :D.

Is this the same designcad 2d and 3d from the old old old 286 days? My father had it  ;)

regards,
Alvaro

March 07, 2009, 06:10:48 PM
Hi Alvaro, yes that work you downloaded is infact for DesignCad. Gee, 286! LOL. I started with DesignCad V7 and the work I have done there will work through with DoubleCad, just be mindful of the key strokes. I am going to do a list of key strokes DoubleCad/AutoCad/DesignCad/TurboCad.

The work on DoubleCad tutorials is based on the same work you see in front of you.

William, thanks for fixing my mistake.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* March 09, 2009, 10:44:01 AM
Thanks for the extra help,  I wasn't aware of the other documents.  I am using the outline in the contents of the Shrock book to learn doublecad.  My intention is to support my model airplane hobby.  Most cad and drawing programs have an interface that is pretty intimidating and I think is best taken in small bits.  Sort of like the way I learned manual drafting those many years ago.

May 11, 2009, 11:29:30 PM
I have to say sorry here for not posting. I am working 13 and 14 hour days at present, so when I get time to myself, I am all 'Cad(ded) out'. I am off work next week, so I'll get some time for me and tutorials.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

May 12, 2009, 08:56:13 AM
No need to apologize.  It's good to hear you're busy... but 14 hour days?  I hope it is a sprint rather than a marathon at that rate.

We'll look forward to anything you contribute at your own pace!  :)

Thanks

* July 14, 2009, 02:27:04 AM
Hi All....

As a CAD newbie I was hoping to check out the information William pointed to below, but it appers the domain name has expired. Is anyone aware of another place I may be able to access this information please?

Many thanks....

Daz.

His site isn't down, but there is a typo in his link above.

Try:
http://www.designcadunleashed.com/

That should work...

-- William