Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Use Edit? to do spokes in wheel
Read 2342 times
* May 27, 2014, 12:32:32 PM
Hi

Have a wheel with outside circle and inside circle for hub.

Want to place a number of spokes at equal distance around the outside circle into the hub.  Appears I should use edit tool, but I cannot get the tool to show the popup for the number of spokes.

What is the best method/tool to draw the spokes at equal spacing around the circle ?  Is there a video somewhere to show this tool ?

Thankyou

Charles Harris

* May 28, 2014, 09:13:36 AM
Try the Radial Copy tool (Alias: radialcopy).

Select the spoke. Once you've specified the center of wheel, enter the total number of spokes. The program will figure the Angle/Rotation numbers for you.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:16:56 AM by John R »

John R

* May 28, 2014, 02:51:34 PM
Hi John

Thanks for that.   It works great. I will have a play round to try different ideas.

Thanks

Charles

* May 28, 2014, 03:26:41 PM
Hi John

This is the wheel I want to draw. (should be photo attached) Have looked at 'rotate' for the object, to try and get the offset business in the hub end.  A bit tricky.  It seems better to not create the rim circle or the hub circle before doing the spokes.  Then put the circles in and trim as required.  The problem at moment is to get the spokes to offset on the hub.

What I intend to do is have the wheel in 3 or more 2D sections for having laser cut or similiar, and then sandwich together to create the wheel. Just the spoke section the problem.     First ring will just be the outside.  2nd ring will have the bumps in where the spokes attach, 3rd ring will be the spokes.  These rings maybe of different thicknesses, and a solid ring at the back.   3D printing probably not best as these wheels will be motor driven and working to drive the vehicle.  Needs weight and be in balance

Your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Charles Harris
downunder in New Zealand

May 29, 2014, 07:54:48 AM
I would firs designate a center point.
Then I would use the radial copy tool the create set of reference points near the RIM. (as the center of one end of the spokes
Then I would use the radial copy tool the create set of reference points near the HUB. Using the same # of points.
Then I would select all of the hub points and make a small angle rotation around the center point (this will create the offset spoke effect.)
Once I have completed these steps I would begin laying in my spokes.

* May 30, 2014, 02:24:07 PM
I took a look at wheel on these web pages to get a closer look.
Pennsylvania Railroad Rubber Tired Switchers
Buckwalter SAE Transactions

Once I established the circles representing the wheel rim and hub,
I drew a "Tangent to Arc or curve" Line from the quadrant point on the rim to the hub.
I made a Parallel line next to it.
I used the "Circle tangent to entities" tool to add some curves by the hub, then trimmed.
I made brackets by the rim (a bit of a chore).
Selected all the items and used the Radial Copy tool.
Done

I think it represents how the wheel looks. Hope this helps.

John R

* May 30, 2014, 02:53:55 PM
Hi John

Wow that looks great.  I will take the steps you have taken and come up with a similar drawing I hope.

Thanks also for the link.  That is where I got my info from for this unique vehicle.

I will let you know how I get on.  Maybe a few days away.

Charles Harris

* June 02, 2014, 09:24:08 PM
Hi John

I am on a big learning curve at the moment.  And enjoying.  See attached.

I am just about there.  Note that the dimensions are not correct in the att, but I am just finding out how to get it to work.
A bit of extra lines in the att.  only rubbish from all my testing.

A couple of questions:  when I drag the circle to set its position  -  what is the position I am looking for ?
I have not used the quadrant tool at all, how do I fit that in ?

With the att I can open the object but when I go to straighten the line I cannot get it to work even though the start and end of thee arc are in the correct position.   I get a straight line but in the wrong position.

Once I sort this I should be able to get the rest ok I think.

Thanks and regards

Charles Harris

* June 04, 2014, 12:07:13 AM
OK. Hopefully you can make some sense of this, as I don't have your particular product, but something very similar (the parent to DC).

Where to draw the initial circle? Anywhere you want. Click in the drawing. Type in coordinates; such "0,0". Snap to an object; like your $Construction Lines intersection.

Quadrant (alias=qpoint) snaps to the nearest quadrant point (0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees) on a circle, arc, or ellipse. I chose that as an arbitrary starting point.

Once you have the circles placed, activate the "Tangent to Arc or Curve" tool. "LTC", then "qpoint" in the Command Line. Click on the right side of the inner circle to start the line. Just click on the 6" radius circle, as that line tool is set up to go directly to a tangent point.

Now you'll want to make a Parallel Line to it. Use "LPA" to activate the tool and click on the line. Use "-1" as an offset.

Create the curved section, where the spoke meets the hub. I used "_circle_te" (Circle Tangent to Entities), because the "CTTR" alias doesn't work in my version (no Radius, another BUG). I clicked on the first line, then the circle representing the outside of the hub and gave it a 0.5" radius. I did the same with the parallel line; same radius.

Now you want to Trim those circles and the two lines. Activate "Trim" or "Object Trim"; not sure which one you have in the Modify menu. Select the 2 lines and the outer hub circle as cutting edges. You may need to hit "Enter" to finish selecting. Click on the little circles. You should be left with two arcs; one very small. Escape and reactivate the Trim tool. Now select those two arcs and finish selecting. Click on the lines going into the hub. They should be trimmed back to those arcs and look similar to what I drew.

I'll leave it at that for now.

John R