Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

New to DC
Read 1334 times
* March 23, 2014, 07:49:06 PM
Hi I am new to DoubleCAD and CAD in general and have a couple of questions.

1. When I engage the selection tool why can't I select a layer to work on?

2. Why when I try to copy/drag symbols from the library they go to layer 0, not the layer I am working on?

3. Is there anyway to change the layer order, move a layer up or down?

My reading of the help files doesn't seem to explain these issues so I hope forum members can.

Thanks!

March 24, 2014, 06:33:11 AM
The selector works on all UNLOCKED layers simultaneously - Use the Layers area of the Layer Manager to lock and unlock layers.
In DoubleCAD you are never "working on a layer" so to speak. Each tool/object is set to a layer specifically. Thus the symbols are always dropped on layer 0. Treat it as your default layer.
You can control the layer order in the layer manager by dragging the layers up and down - this does not affect the display order.
You can affect the display order by assigning values in the order field of each layer in the layer manager.
The order of the layers in the layer drop down cannot be changed it is determined by the order in which the layers are created.

* March 24, 2014, 04:34:37 PM
Thanks for the reply thebrian,

I am used to working in Photoshop and was trying to use layers in the same way to create overlays, eg I wanted to furnish the house after I added the interior walls not before, re the symbols question.

Just means I will have to give considerable thought to how I assign the layers before I start a project, all part of the learning curve!

Thanks,
Max