Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

a question regarding scales
Read 1091 times
* January 06, 2014, 02:07:17 PM
I am about to start using DoubleCad for creating model railway vehicles/buildings. I will do the original drawing in DC in full size, ie I will input dimensions from the manufacturers original paper drawing or from measurements taken from the actual building in full size.

This drawing will eventually be used to produce on a laser cutter a model (probably in the form of several thin overlays) to a scale of 4 mm to 1 foot. An alternative is to produce etched brass but would still need to reduce the 1:1 drawing to the model scale.

Can this scale conversion be done in DoubleCad or will it have to be done by importing the drawing into whatever software the cutter uses and doing the scale conversion in that software?

I haven't used a CAD application for around twenty years or more and it was then a 2D application running on DOS so I have a bit of a double learning curve as I am also new to model making.

John Lewis

January 07, 2014, 09:48:31 AM
Dc can do it. Draw the full thing at 1:1 in Model space, then save. create copies of the drawing as needed and use the Space Units to adjust the scale/units, or select and re-size everything in one go. Whichever is faster.