Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

TurboCAD LTE Pro V5
Read 9923 times
* September 18, 2012, 10:54:51 AM
I see from the mail that TurboCAD LTE Pro V5 has arrived and it has a 64-bit version. That alone should make many people happy.

Lots of other "new features" are also there.
  • Upgraded Redsdk Rendering Engine
  • New Page Layout Wizard
  • New Protractor
  • Improved Stretch Tool
  • New Convert to Arcs Polyline
  • New Geo-Location
  • Modern Look
  • New/Improved DGN (MicroStation) Filter
  • Enhanced DWG/DXF Support

* September 18, 2012, 11:30:22 AM
Yes I`m very happy, been waiting for this -64 bit version woo hoo  :) :) :)  8)

Now that the Name 'DoubleCad' is no more and is now called TurboCad  LTE Pro5 etc... which makes perfect sense to me, I think the forum name should reflect this change. Obviously some - probably most users are using 'DoubleCad' as it stands, I still think the forum name should change and be the dominant heading!

* September 18, 2012, 12:39:40 PM
Love this new interface
 Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:43:24 PM by spider »

September 19, 2012, 10:30:48 AM
Will it run on 32 bit? Going by this it does: "Now fully 64-bit compatible, TurboCAD LTE Pro v5 takes advantage ......."

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* September 19, 2012, 01:19:40 PM
If it's like TurboCAD, you'll get two programs; one in 32-bit format and one in 64-bit format. The 32-bit program can be installed in either a 32-bit or 64-bit machine. The 64-bit program will naturally only work in a 64-bit machine. If you only have a 32-bit machine, you're SOL as you're still restricted to the Window RAM limitations of 2GB.

The 64-bit program should do away with the "Out Of Memory" messages that can plague a user during rendering. I would venture to say that 8GB of RAM is a safe minimum, but more is always nice to have.

September 19, 2012, 11:43:53 PM
Just downloaded LTE Pro 5..........WOW!

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* September 20, 2012, 01:02:42 AM
Just downloaded LTE Pro 5..........WOW!

Yep - that`s what I thought

September 20, 2012, 07:52:26 AM
Yes it wil be in 32 and 64bit flavors

* September 20, 2012, 03:27:08 PM
"The rumors of DoubleCAD's death have been greatly exaggerated"... or however that phrase goes.

I'll try to explain the current state of branding as best as possible... but -- disclaimer -- it may not be clean or elegant... but hopefully understandable.

The last official version of DoubleCAD free and Pro is v3.

After the release of v3, we had two interesting opportunities:

(1) Re-label using the "TurboCAD" name to take advantage of our channel presence

(2) Work with a very large company to do some kind of companion product

We controlled the first case... so DoubleCAD Pro v4 became TurboCAD LTE Pro v4.  (We also created a new product between the free and paid DC products called TurboCAD LTE v4.)

Note that this was never intended to replace DoubleCAD... but rather be a sister product to it.

We were saving the updated DoubleCAD v4 series to make a splash doing something with that large company... which unfortunately continues to be a very long process.

But now we're on v5... and are faced tactically with free DoubleCAD being *two* versions old.

We're also presented with an interesting strategic change, too:  Over the last year or so, the good reasons to create a new brand called DoubleCAD have been supplanted by enterprises starting to accept our "Turbo" brand via our mobile products.

Indeed, big corporate customers -- previously not our sweet spot -- are now saying, "hey, we like this TurboViewer product!  What other Turbo stuff do you have?"

What this means is we have the opportunity to go back to the TurboCAD brand for our *paid* products... as in DoubleCAD Pro will soon only be called TurboCAD LTE Pro.

For our *free* CAD, we will continue to call it DoubleCAD... too much good will is built into that name to switch that gear.

What that means is you will see an upgraded version of free DoubleCAD XT at some point... which will be based on v5 code, a two version jump... so lots of bug fixes, feature enhancements, etc.

And when free DoubleCAD XT customers want to upgrade to the Pro version -- which we hope they'll continue to do! -- they will be directed to a page that will say something like, "Welcome! DoubleCAD Pro is now TurboCAD LTE Pro."

Exactly the same product... exactly the same familiar DoubleCAD interface... just a different name on the front of the box for the Pro product.

Hopefully this sheds light on how and why the brand has evolved up to this point.  Happy to take questions privately or publicly.

* September 20, 2012, 10:38:07 PM
Thank you for the honest and understandable reply here.

For me personally I started out with DoubleCAD XT 'free' version and then because I liked the product so much and it fitted my needs I quickly took the jump to upgrade to the 'pro' version.
I think if I was starting out again as a 'newbie' and first started with DoubleCAD XT 'free' version and then wanted to upgrade and was directed to a page with 'DoubleCAD Pro' is now called TurboCAD LTE Pro - I would probably at first be a little confused and then think  why is it not called TurboCAD LTE from the beginning!

Herein is the situation - as you quite rightly say you want to honour the good will and dedication from which has already come from 'DoubleCAD' users from the beginning - sure, I understand that, but - and I cannot obviously speak for others, if I was a DoubleCAD user/developer from the beginning I would understand that I was part of this process and would accept that I played my part in acieving the great product what it is today! and would also understand the reasons for the name change because of your explanation.
I think something like your explanation is all that is needed from now on on the main website etc... and everybody would understand that. It would also avoid any future confusions from new users who are considering upgrading to a pro version.

* September 21, 2012, 09:41:47 AM
Thanks for the good thoughts.  Yup, we will address this on the website!

* September 25, 2012, 07:32:11 PM
Well, TurboCAD LTE Pro 5 - x64 crashed nicely on the first shutdown. It seemed OK after that, but it happened again after several shutdowns later. Maybe there's a conflict with the built in "Alt+F4" (Windows) shutdown and the custom "Ctrl+Q" hotkey. I don't understand why "File / Exit" needs 2 hotkeys. I see this program also has several incorrect icons assigned to various tools; just like TurboCAD Platinum.

The program runs "hot" (90%) for no apparent reason. If I minimize the program, it calms down to 25%; it should go to zero.

Help files What is the purpose of making all the images 'fuzzy' and too small to properly read? I had to laugh when I saw "Customize / Keyboard" and there's an image from the version 11 program.

The program may have "wow" to some, but I find it hard to get past the obvious BUGS.

You should update the FAQ page for Pro V5. Everything there refers to V3, not V5.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:23:39 PM by John R »

September 25, 2012, 11:51:05 PM
Yeap, I too have found a problem with TC LTE Pro 5 32 bit. To do with file selection when saving. I click the radio down button to select a file, but when I remove my mouse click, the file type list disappears. Now this is on a Vista system, but does not happen on an XP system. Not tried on 64 bit yet as I have just got the cost to upgrade and going through the due process.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

September 26, 2012, 10:38:56 AM
Royal, I too have now fully read your post and thats what I understood from talking with Bob. I can now understand the futher talk with Bob over the training material for LTE I have been working on. Royal, you guys have a massive user base in the USA and you need to keep that going, you have to push AutoCAD LT of the podium and this program I am sure is starting to make inroads to that. As an AutoCAD trained user, it did not take me too long to drop AutoCAD and I now do all my timber profile contract work with DoubleCAD XT based programs.

I was involved with DoubleCAD right from the start of alpha testing and to tell the truth, I liked what I saw and felt that this was even better than DesignCAD that I have also havd a long involvement with. Do not get me wrong, DesignCAD is a great little program, but does lack the punch that TurboCAD has, but I also enjoy the BETA testing of DesignCAD and infact all of the testing of the IMSI products I am involved with.

Since I started with TurboCAD (V10), at first it was a little daunting, but slowly, I got my head round it to where I am with TC Pro 16.2 and still use Pro 14 with the CAM module. Maybe one day I'll upgrade including the CAM module to something more modern. What I did alot of was because of who I did alot of work for, I was committed to SolidWorks, but used the 2D drawings to create alot of CAM code for what I was able and from this, this has enabled me to work with Tait Electronics with their new CAM software Visi which is 3D, alot quicker and conversly, train their staff. Now I know Visi! Back to TurboCAD, it is now very easy to switch back and forth from LTE to full TC for very obvious reasons and has now made me better with TurboCAD.

I have got to meet some damn fine folk on these forums and damn nice folk from IMSI too! Some old hands like George and Mauritz and thanks to Mauritz who actually in his office up in Novato, much to the disgust of George, got me to move to 'the dark side'!

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* September 26, 2012, 11:34:09 AM
You've been a star forever, thank you, SteveMS!