Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Linux/mac?
Read 47787 times
* September 28, 2010, 01:48:32 AM
A strong VOTE for porting to Linux - this would be a great Breakthrough for many architects and designers
- I myself am still sticking with Windows only because of DoubleCAD - so hopefully I will be able to totally switch to linux and continue using DoubleCAD - which I 'm a great fan of

* October 22, 2010, 05:21:40 AM
Autocad is now back on the OSX, and it's already a hype out there... hope Doublecad comes second, prior to all those intellicad's out there! :)

* November 24, 2010, 06:44:02 PM
hi to all

the mac version of autocad is out  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=15421056&siteID=123112

billspiker

* December 16, 2010, 04:31:22 AM
Hi, just to add another vote to the Linux/mac port idea. I know I could convince a good few more people to let go of there windows fetish if I could provide them with a viable CAD package on linux. Really good to see a project like this. (I do agree that possibly the simplest option, if there is such a thing, is to become 'WINE complient' though)

thanks
Paul

* January 27, 2011, 04:36:02 AM
May I suggest the developers to contact with the WINE crew before the next release of DoubleCAD
- perhaps the way to running DC under wine is not a big deal (well then perhaps not) but I believe it's
worth the effort to at least try and investigate on the subject :)

keep my fingers crossed for DC (the only app that keeps me bound to Windows)

Double CAD for LINUX that's what WE WANTS my presiousss :) !!!

* February 08, 2011, 10:52:55 AM
May I suggest the developers to contact with the WINE crew before the next release of DoubleCAD
- perhaps the way to running DC under wine is not a big deal (well then perhaps not) but I believe it's
worth the effort to at least try and investigate on the subject :)

keep my fingers crossed for DC (the only app that keeps me bound to Windows)

Double CAD for LINUX that's what WE WANTS my presiousss :) !!!

From 1995 to 2001 I worked with a company that was the first one to offer a fullfledged 3D CAD system for LINUX. A very small company, and LINUX then was even more of a niche market than it is today.

The main problem that I was always confronted with was that, aside from (even still today to a good extent) not having standard software like Adobe products or Corel programs, scanline renderers that needed to be fed with text code, people were already used to working with Windows (then 95).

So, architect colleagues (we are talking about professionals here that need to make a living and are prepared to pay for the tools that ensure their income) don´t want to invest into a complete change of platforms, i.e. from Windows to something completely new.

So, it would not only mean having to learn a new software, but also having to change from the OS most people know to something similar, but still new.

Then you have to think about the motivation for working with LINUX. Is it stability? Usability? Or maybe something else?

I personally have made my peace with Windows. After spending countless hours only maintaining my LINUX OS ( and I was very resilient when it came to OSes, like trying to install IBM OS/2 with 20 3,5inch disks about 20 times because it always stopped at disc 18) I came to the conclusion that it was time for a change. With Windows XP being the first MS OS that was majorly stable and reliable, I was still dualbooting between Linux and Windows. But when my software took a dive and it became too costly to maintain, I had to make a decision. And I decided to completely go back to Windows, since the CAD software was the ONLY reason I was using Linux. With two dozen necessary programs under windows and only one software under Linux, it was a natural decision.

So, in conclusion, I don´t think that it makes sense for a development house to invest into the development of a dedicated LINUX version. WINE support: yes, dedicated, no.
I think the same goes for MAC, since the market is already so filled up with a lot of software that it hardly would make sense to open up another development branch.

Maybe someday we will see something like a real unified code, but I guess that day is still a few years away, unfortunately.

Sorry for the rant ;)

Michael

Working with DCad XT V3.1 build 37.0
TurboCad V17 Platinum

* March 01, 2011, 09:03:15 AM
i wish there was a linux version, but if it would work through Wine it will be alright, but it does need to work without errors and crashes.
i tried on Wine 1.3.8 i believe on Ubuntu 10.10 and i could not make Dcad to start.
So i'm stuck with Windows :(

* October 15, 2011, 11:02:39 PM
I want to keep the Linux request thread alive here. :D
It would rock so hard if doubleCAD XT was available for Linux users.
But of coarse you already knew that ;)

October 16, 2011, 12:55:03 PM
Linux would be good. I am an old hand with Windows and have Ubantu 10.10 and would like to try it there, but it has been tried. if it could be run using Wine, that would be good.

Some valid comments made here and perhaps someone with IMSISoft may read this and get thinking as there are plenty out there using Linux and there would I am sure be a market in that direction.

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* October 20, 2011, 04:33:22 PM
has any one got it running say on a win 2 k virtual machine under linux 11 ? ? in the short term it may allow us wndoz users to migrate to a new operating system and still have a competing program to the Windoze exploder program Autocad.

Just A thought.

DW

* October 23, 2011, 02:06:37 PM
I CALLED DBLCADXT AND ASKED THEM TO SEND ME A NEW DOWNLOAD LINK TO MY EMAIL WHICH THEY DID.  i CLEARED THE OLD AND IN MY OPINION THE "BUGGED COPY" OUT OF MY PROGRAMS AND REINSTALLED THE NEW LINK.  SO FAR NO PROBLEMS AND I JUST COMPLETED SEVEN NICE DRAWINGS.
 CALL DBLCAD DIRECT AND ASK FOR A LINK TO DOWNLOAD. 

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DRAW A PARALELOGRAM AS A SINGLE ENTITY SO YOU CAN ADD HATCH TO IT?

October 31, 2011, 11:02:48 AM
Draw as seperate segments - then use the Join Polyline tool, of draw as a polyline and use Close for the final leg.

* April 13, 2017, 03:50:20 AM
I’m trying to load DoubleCAD on to a Linux machine using Wine. I’m running Ubuntu Serena. According to “Wine —version”  I’m running Wine 2.4  although I loaded amd64 version 1.6.8.  I also loaded both i386 and Wine-Stable. I successfully got setup to load up the DCAD. Wine doublecadxt starts the program. I had problems with it at first erroring out on missing Gecko but I got that fixed. My problem now is the DCAD stops in the middle of the  start up. The error is caused by a dll called “Security_NoProtection.dll”. It jumps to a bad EIP and throws an exception at 0x02B231CD. Since this is a free version of DCAD it is hard for me to see why the people that wrote DCAD put this into the file but it’s there. Now I have to figure out how to jump around it. During setup I used the same SN that I used on my Windows machine. It worked perfectly in Windows. In Linux it accepted it and completed the initial installation. However it never called the request for a key input. I have the key but can’t get it into the DCAD.

DCAD checks somewhere, probably in the registry, to see if the program is active. If the program is active DCAD calls a “Repair or Modify” window instead of the Key request window when setup is run. I’d have an easy fix if I could stop DCAD temporarily from thinking there is a DCAD already installed until I can get the key in. I probably caused this “looking active” since I copied all registry items from my Windows to my Linux. I tried an uninstall but that rarely ever cleans all items up.

By inserting a “jump to” I got to the Tips window but it dies after the tip timer runs out.
I think that the Security.dll is called more than once. If that’s so, I’ll have to jump it at least twice. Any ideas?