Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Linux/mac?
Read 48781 times
* January 29, 2010, 02:29:16 PM
My vote is for Linux ;D  Mac hardware is to $$

Mac hardware costs $$$? Another Mac myth!

A Mac Mini, which essentially is a Macbook in a miniscule box, (without a screen- so you can choose not to have a glossy screen), will set you back about $599. If you buy a Mac Mini from an educational outlet- say a college or university, you will get a further discount + three years worth of Applecare, just incase your computer goes wrong. Applecare is a lot more fun than PC world, believe me! Mac Mini's support two monitors, and they are FAST! You can also run Windows 7, um...ahem...Linux, and Mac OS X- all under one roof (I've even got MS-DOS running, in Mac OS X, under 'Boxer'!). I was about to buy a Gigabyte motherboard with the duo core processor (similar speed spec), and all the other bits and bobs- including a high grade PSU (and don't forget the OS!), but in the end, didn't, because it worked out to be cheaper (and a lot more hassle free), just to buy a Mac Mini.

So there you go. Myth. ;)

Okay, apologies for the rant, as you've probably guessed, I'm here to vote for DoubleCAD on Mac... and yes... Linux too, because it is better to beat this ACAD machine with all guns blazing!!

But, if you are going to consider doing a OS X port, please do write the application in native Apple Cocoa, because poor quality ports look and behave really awful. Please also, don't be tempted (like Siemens for eg have, with NX), to use X11 (which is also present in the Mac system). Look at SketchUp and Rhino (and HighDesign ;) ) for Mac- all are Cocoa based. Both work really nicely.

cheers!

TomF

* February 26, 2010, 09:38:27 AM
My vote is for a Mac version.  We use Archicad so it can run native on the mac, but it's still not giving us everything we'd like.  Put me on the list for beta testing if you decide to pursue the Mac version!

John Abernathy, AIA, LEED AP
Partner
DA|AD
www.daad-group.com

February 28, 2010, 01:38:33 AM
Hi,

I guess I'll jump in on this.

I too would like to see a Mac version, both XT & XT Pro. At the moment I'm using XT, on the back side of my iMac with XP Pro, but having downloaded the XT Pro, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

It would be a good bet to go with Intel Macs, core 2 duo or better, with Leopard or higher, 10.5.x.
Snow Leopard might better, as it would allow 64 bit, that's 10.6.x.

Thanks

John

* April 21, 2010, 09:46:26 AM
Another vote here for a Linux port.  If we had a list of the required Windows native *.dll's required to run under Windows, it would be easier to figure out how to get the program to run under Wine.  This would, as others have pointed out, be the quickest road to a Linux version...

* May 24, 2010, 08:58:19 AM
i would always vote for linux

* May 28, 2010, 09:54:07 AM
hi to all
I hope everyone filled out the survey request and told double cad that we need a linux and/or mac version.

When will we get the results of the survey forms?

thank you
bill

* June 04, 2010, 01:16:23 AM
OSX OSX OSX. Autodesk's Autocad is making the move... If DoubleCad osx comes first, it will be a great advantage over the competition!

* July 20, 2010, 03:48:25 AM
Hi to all

I sent an email to this address CustomerSupport@imsidesign.com asking if there was any Linux version in the works for any of the IMSI cad programs. I actually got a response, therefor I suggest anyone interested in a Linux/Mac version email them and ask. Someone does read and respond. Maybe with enough emails they may see how profitable the market could be.

Bill

July 20, 2010, 08:58:08 AM
I hope you recognize that we absolutely read everything here too!  Thanks for the feedback and enthusiasm.

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

* July 20, 2010, 12:52:38 PM
Greetings

There is no doubt that the Mac and Linux markets are both growing. I imagine that if DoubleCAD could run on these platforms then DoubleCAD would be effortlessly be amongst the top CAD contenders amongst MAC and Linux users.

I feel that Mac users would more willingly part with money. There are some very clear an indisputable reasons why an increasingly large percentage of power users choose Mac.  I say indisputable because that market is growing even though macs are quite expensive comparatively :)  as Unix Admin, who manages a network of 300 Windows PC's for the school where I work however at home where I have four children who use Apple Macs and I seldom get called by my family to deal with issues on the Mac. 

So back to the topic:  To the developers of DoubleCAD: I suggest that as a distant cousin to TurboCad and other products which do run on Mac. - Don't stray too far way from Mac and Linux worlds with your code base, because if you are successful getting DoubleCAD running on Apple Mac then it's a fairly trivial task to continue that journey over to Linux and you might capture a very wide audience since you have an outstanding product.

Another observation: Steam, the popular games engine http://store.steampowered.com/ have taken quite seriously the Apple and Linux market and now there are now an amazing number of Game titles flowing over into the Mac world with the Linux version of steam due for release in 2011.  - this removed the argument that games did not run on Apple!

Many open source products run on Mac Linux and Windows for example Audacity, VLC's VLPlayer, Mozilla Firefox, Evernote, Dreamweaver, FileZilla,  Skype, - and thats just some of the stuff on my Mac.

Microsoft and Google have both taken seriously the Mac and Linux markets,  Microsoft have demonstrated this in the form of Litigation and Legal wrangling while Google continued to developed great software for example Google SketchUP and Picassa. - Although Microsoft do have a array of products which run on mac now.  Too little too late in there case, but in yours there's still time :)

I suppose what I am saying is that it would be great if I could use DoubleCAD on my Mac and Linux computers

Best wishes
Roland

July 20, 2010, 09:01:31 PM
I think the easiest road to this would be to work with the WINE team and get it WINE/Crossover certified.

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

July 20, 2010, 09:04:32 PM
See also this thread - they are doing it now on Macs  http://forums.doublecad.com/index.php?topic=1548.0

* July 23, 2010, 06:17:38 PM
Hi  wmanning
 I did not mean to offend you or your team, I had a 2 fold purpose for my post. The posts were, to me getting stale, and I wanted to stir things up. I think it worked because there are new posts with encouraging information. The other reason was to ask IMSI directly hoping enough requests might have them offer double cad or another product to the Linux community.
Thank You again

Bill

July 27, 2010, 01:19:13 PM
Bill, no offense was taken or inferred!  I just wanted to point out that everything in this forum is read by quite a few people at IMSI right up to the top.  Thanks again.

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

* September 15, 2010, 03:35:04 AM
Hi everyone,
First of all, congratulation for this great soft!
Is there any news about a native version of DoubleCad for Mac OS or Linux?

Thanks to all,
Julien.