Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Linux/mac?
Read 45790 times
* June 13, 2009, 03:04:20 PM
Hi to all,
I am have been using double cad for windows. I like it I would also like to know if will be making a Linux version??? Go Mets!! Tracy

* July 01, 2009, 01:58:44 PM
No luck with wine here either. However, I've just been running DCAD beautifully using a virtual XP machine on VirtualBox. Cheating perhaps, but at least I can use my linux box!
:-)

* July 16, 2009, 01:58:17 AM
Everybody who is working with CAD is looking forward to any software that can read and write DWG files and has at least LT functionality in Linux. The market is especially interesting right now because Distros like Mandriva, Linux Mint, Ubuntu and the future Google System make it very attractive for anybody to switch to Linux. Applications like OpenOffice, Gimp (although still some work needs to be done here), VLC, MythTV, Songbird make a fully functional system out of Linux PCs, whether you use it for private or commercial purposes.
Currently what's holding back a lot of architects, engineers and even designers is the lack of a real working CAD system.
So go for it! You might be first!

* August 04, 2009, 05:01:25 PM
hello every body!!  I am new to this but I am very encourage with the follow member (agruhl)
of this program.  I cant find any way and or any reason to disagree and agrue.  I look forward what more devoples.  I also say go for it and you will never know what will happen??

* August 07, 2009, 08:57:15 PM
Hi, please add my voice to the request for a linux version, having to run it on virtual box sort of goes against the grain... ;D

* September 25, 2009, 02:23:16 AM
I also want a Linux version!
But in the meanwhile, I tried to install it under wine (in Ubuntu 9.04), and I had the same trouble as others: the tool bar doesn't work.
Has someone found any solution?
Thanks a lot

* September 30, 2009, 01:05:38 PM
I'd really like to have an osx version of xt/xt pro. The market for 2d drafting in osx is still waiting for something with this quality. Keep up the great work!

* November 09, 2009, 12:23:36 AM
Me too fro Linux!!!!!! I'm waiting for a Linux version of DC... it could be really great!
I'd like a wine compatible version, but the best surely will be a native linux software. The DREAM a .deb or .rpm file!

Good job!
Tommaso

* November 20, 2009, 12:36:30 AM
Here's another vote for a Linux port of DoubleCAD XT.

I recently started my own architects office and try to run on Free Linux (Kubuntu 64bit) software completely. The most important thing holding me back atm is a decent AutoCAD lookalike. QCAD just isn't in the same league... I've just discovered DoubleCAD and I'm very enthousiastic. Unforunately not on Linux, not even with Wine windows emulator.

* November 30, 2009, 12:15:10 PM
Registered to vote for a Mac version. I agree with the previous posts: vmware, parallels, boot-camp all demand I buy, install and run a copy windows - which kinda misses the point. So yes, a proper native app is what I'd buy in a heartbeat.

* January 08, 2010, 11:24:42 PM
OSX version is also why I registered.... just to vote for one.

There's no reason to switch from AutoCAD if it's not for a native Mac version. There's every reason to support the first CAD company that serves the Mac community with a decent drafting interface.

January 13, 2010, 11:04:35 AM
Hi everybody.

To run dCAD XT on wine and avoid crash at startup, you need to go to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IMSIDesign/DoubleCAD XT/Program and delete or rename TCTips.exe.

There are still some problems with opening templates, and application crashes from time to time, display is bit garbage, but it works.

Good luck

* January 15, 2010, 04:12:26 PM
hi asmodeus
i tried your work around i got further than i had before but still not good enough for me to be usable. what i would like to know is how you figured out your work around, i would have never figured out to delete that file. thanks for the tip.   

bill spiker

* January 16, 2010, 06:30:34 AM
Thanks, than doublecad looks beter but still not functional at all. It's still can't run on wine and be compare even with qCad couse theres a lot of crashes and no functionality (unles 5 minutes and one crash for one operation is ok). Indeed I like doublecad XT, but it just don't run on linux even with wine and emulated reactOS too :( . maybe it's code just can not be easy compiled for linux and of some reason (I suppose programing style) it's not running on wine even with one renamed .exe

January 19, 2010, 07:51:47 AM
Actualy, that's all what I have done.
I deleted this file after checking in sysguard what wine instances are runing, when program was crashing/hanging. TCTips.exe displays tips at startup so that was obvious that if program hangs at tips stage I need to rule this step out.

As  i posted before, there is still problem with opening templates (program brings errors about openinf file), display refres is garbage, and I can't save any file - program crashes.

See ya