Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Linux/mac?
Read 48779 times
April 02, 2009, 10:03:24 PM
I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is WINE for mac as well and there is a commercial (not free) version of wine called CROSSOVER that is a little more user friendly, but I have had worse luck in some cases with that, but on the other hand Office 2003/2007 works fine with it.

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

* April 07, 2009, 06:16:58 AM
I registered here just to add a vote for linux support.  I've never heard of 'doublecad', but now I know about it just because you are CONSIDERING porting it.  I've been looking for a good CAD on linux solution for YEARS.  I'm really anticipating google's sketchup for linux, and like the idea that you guys dove-tail into it.

Note that I'd gladly pay for a linux version, and if warranted, enthusiastically recommend it to others.

April 07, 2009, 07:12:47 AM
Cool.  Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input!

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

* April 15, 2009, 05:07:30 AM
Just to stir things up  ;D : Autocad for Mac:
http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/2009/04/mac-fanbois-get-their-wish-autocad.html
http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/surveynet/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=l21M672
http://www.autocadformac.com
I don't use the Mac myself, so can't comment on this.
Don't get too excited though.

[Edit: From what I gather, this is more like AC LT - with some restrictions - than Autocad. Now why anybody would want to use a crippled form of an already crippled SW - when they can use a much better Turbocad -  is more than I can guess. Unless AC LT has improved drastically from v2006, which I was "privileged" to try.
Still, there it is for curiousity's sake  ;) ]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:27:38 AM by makr »

* April 15, 2009, 09:42:06 AM
Just to update on the discussion, I also received the survey from AutoCAD about porting AutoCAD LT to the Mac.  Apparently there is enough interest that they are paying attention.

In my own situation, I've gone from wishing there was an option to actively wanting an option.  If DC were available for the Mac, I'd be purchasing it today - seriously.  As it is, I'm evaluating TurboCAD but experiencing some difficulties with the dwg files I am experimenting with and cannot say that I can consider it at this point.

* April 15, 2009, 10:24:10 AM
Have you tried the latest Turbocad (v 16) ? I feel that - since TC & DC probably use the same import engine (from ODA??) - there shouldn't be much of a problem there, too. The only real problem I faced with DWG files, in DC,  was with linetype import. Of course, I haven't tried any really complicated/large files on it, yet.

April 15, 2009, 02:49:14 PM
Hi LemoyneArchitect,

If you are having problems with files we would love to know more about it.  If you can send them to us, great -- we'll have our developers look at correcting any issues that we can.  If not, if you can explain the types of problems then we'll do what we can to help.

-- William

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

* April 15, 2009, 03:50:49 PM
Have you tried the latest Turbocad (v 16) ?

TCv16 is PC only.

* April 15, 2009, 03:52:53 PM
And this article here illustrates why I really don't want to be running Windows on my Mac - sort of defeats the purpose.

http://www.macworld.com/article/140025/2009/04/fusionbug.html

* May 12, 2009, 06:17:40 PM
I've contacted you before regarding to Turbocad version for linux. - I already know the answer.

Being a Mechanical engineer, i'm looking for a decent CAD software compatible with dwg for years. It is the only reason i still got 6 production computer with Windows. The only software that i cant port to linux is really our cad package. Currently we use Bricscad in windows. But our needs are just what Doublecad is.

We are an HVAC contractor and almost all projects are from the client. So we just have do do small changes to drawings to as-built drawings and to draw some details.

We dont mind to pay for a CAD software, but if we could use a robust operating system like linux that doesnt get major changes every 4 years (xp-vista for example) and mamking hardware obsolete.

So what are you waiting for porting to LINUX?

I vote for LINUX.

Ricardo Perry

* May 27, 2009, 07:05:33 AM
I vote for linux version too =)
Will we know the developer decision about this things soon? sorry if i sound too rush, just too excited to know that [hopefully] soon linux user will have a robust cad application run natively without wine =D

* May 27, 2009, 12:41:08 PM
Hi to all,
I would like to also ask that double cad be ported to linux (ubuntu). I have used design cad 3d max with ubuntu 8.04, with the help of WINE. It was not perfect but better than most other offerings for linux. I ran design cad 3d max until i upgraded to ubuntu 9.04, with that also came a newer version of wine and since the up grade no more 3dmax. I tried to install double cad with ubuntu 9.04, all went very well but when i try to run the program all i get is a beep sound anywhere that i click the mouse. I will try to down grade the version of WINE to see if that works better and let you know. in the meantime i will experiment with double cad under windows to see the look and feel.

thank you
bill

I down graded WINE to version 1.1.18  from 1.1.21 this was as low as i could go for ubuntu 9.04. and it not work so i tried to upgrade to WINE version 1.1.22, same result would not work. I did try WINE 1.0.0 from ubuntu 8.10 that was worse, the program did not even try to load.
Hope this information is useful to some one.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:00:41 AM by billspiker »

* June 04, 2009, 06:44:18 PM
Morning all...

I just registered so I could throw some weight behind the Linux camp.

My reasoning is quite simple, I have a netbook running Ubuntu and would really like to get some sort of cad package on it to use out on site.

I tried Progecad Smart 2008 to see if it would work under Wine and it did, but there are problems with the registration and so it stops working after 30 days.

Would getting DC XT to work with Wine be an easier exercise than making a proper Linux version?

Thanks,
MJ

* June 04, 2009, 07:28:12 PM
First of all, i want to congratulate IMSI/Design for developing such a great piece of software. DoubleCAD is incredible.

Like others, I register just to ask for a Linux Version. I know lots of people (Engineers and architects), that doesn't switch to Linux due to miss a great CAD software. I believe that DoubleCAD has everythink to be a huge sucess on Linux community. What seens to be impossible, now is reality.

* June 04, 2009, 07:29:56 PM
Hi to all,
I would like to also ask that double cad be ported to linux (ubuntu). I have used design cad 3d max with ubuntu 8.04, with the help of WINE. It was not perfect but better than most other offerings for linux. I ran design cad 3d max until i upgraded to ubuntu 9.04, with that also came a newer version of wine and since the up grade no more 3dmax. I tried to install double cad with ubuntu 9.04, all went very well but when i try to run the program all i get is a beep sound anywhere that i click the mouse. I will try to down grade the version of WINE to see if that works better and let you know. in the meantime i will experiment with double cad under windows to see the look and feel.

thank you
bill

I down graded WINE to version 1.1.18  from 1.1.21 this was as low as i could go for ubuntu 9.04. and it not work so i tried to upgrade to WINE version 1.1.22, same result would not work. I did try WINE 1.0.0 from ubuntu 8.10 that was worse, the program did not even try to load.
Hope this information is useful to some one.

Bill

billspiker i try to run DoubleCAD on Ubuntu 9.04 / Wine 1.1.22 , and the same problem here. The software freezes on the initial screen.