Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Missing Symbols In Library Palette
Read 5479 times
* December 06, 2011, 07:07:37 PM
I installed DoubleCad V3 a couple of days ago, and accepted the 30 day pro trial. The installation went well and I was impressed by the ease of operation. Then I began to noticed some strange behavior, first with the 'Select Objects' tool when multiple objects were nearby. The object highlighting sometimes fails to work in the popup menu.

Then I edited and saved a library symbol in the existing 'My Symbols' folder, but when I opened the library palette, the folder was empty. I restarted the program and the symbol appeared as expected. Later I created another symbol and it too failed to appear in the folder. I exited the program several times, and checked the folder with my file browser and the file was actually there.

Finally when I clicked on the support link in the Internet Palette, I was redirected to the DoubleCad home page (with an abominatipon called "IE" instead of my default browser), and had to follow the links from there to get here. The first of those links went to a page which could only be described as a sales brochure. Not helpful, but I know why you do it, so no explanation necessary.

Once here, a search for "library palette" returned zero results. I did a Google site search of the forum and found eight occurrences, one of which described the same missing symbol problem. The post was dated October 18, 2010. The "Master of the Universe" said, "navigate to the symbols folder on you computer and make sure the files are still present." (barf! I thought the man need help with DoubleCad not his OS) A "DoubleCAD Demi-God" said, "First you have to unload this folder (Libraries / Unload Libraries) and load it again (Load Folder)." (arg! But it works.)

So, I spent several hours on a problem that has been known since before October 2010, and nothing has been done to fix it.

IMSI seems to be big on new features and better versions, but clearly out of it's league when it comes to producing a single stable version not infested with bugs.

I own TurboCad v12 and have test driven v15, and both exhibit the same set of annoyances such as the mouse pointer jumping off the lower left edge of the screen on a simple mouse click to finish an operation. Then it takes five strokes to get it back where I want it.

Why am I not trusted to configure my own mouse performance?

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3 on an AMD Dual Core processor and 4G RAM.

Bobby Garner

* December 07, 2011, 03:22:04 AM
Hi Bobby
I'm only beta tester and Dcad user. So treat my answer as my subjective.
-Note 1 - This is for many an advantage rather than bug. If you have several objects close together, it is easier, when you can select from the list  the desired object than to click the mouse a few times until you hit on what you want.
-Note 2 - In many programs  libraries are loading after starting the program, then you can choose that ones that you are interesting in. When the library would grow a lot, loading them all at once would take a lot of time. The problem here is "loosing access path", so  you have to unload and reload the library file. I think this is  the cost of this, that programmer's  effort are often focused on the introduction of new tools.
-Treat, please, the titles of the forum  with more at ease  :) . For example: DoubleCAD Demi-god only means that you placed on the forum more than 500 posts (they must not be all good): Developer DoubleCAD means that  you have  Pro version  and got  access to the SDK for DCAD, because you're trying to do something increasing DCAD performance for specific needs, for example, in Visual Basic or Ruby. I laughed myself a little at the beginning with such "serious and dignified titles." If you post more than 500 posts on the forum if you want it or not, you will be "demi-god" ;) .
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:34:05 AM by Marek »

* December 07, 2011, 06:18:08 AM
I'm pleased that the DoubleCAD Developers were not offended by my use of the forum labels.  8)

I can accept the point of your comment on note 2 as being valid. However, I did witness different behavior in the two instances I mentioned yesterday. I don't believe it's a design feature that sometimes the symbol appears without reloading the folder, and sometimes it doesn't. If it isn't a design feature, then it's a bug.  ;)

In regards to note 1, I thought I mentioned that "The object highlighting sometimes fails to work in the popup menu. " I remember my first experience with TurboCad, DOS v1 or 2 maybe, back in 1994. You had no way of knowing what was going to happen when you hit the delete key. That was greatly improved upon sometime later with the popup menu and object highlighting. I don't recall having any problem with that feature in my v12 or the other versions I've tried. However, I did have a problem in several instances yesterday with the latest version of DoubleCad when the objects did NOT highlight as I moved the mouse pointer over the menu. I'll bet that the average user would think that was a bug. ;D

December 07, 2011, 02:13:15 PM
Bobby, I too am only a BETA tester, Developer, Hero User, user of DoubleCAD Pro, user of TurboCAD V16 Pro, user and tutorial writer for DoubleCAD and TurboCAD LTE.

The problem you have had with symbols, I too have had and I have checked that the symbols are in the CORRECT folder(important). To get them, I have refreshed the folder by reloading. Personally, I do not think this as big a problem as some may think. I have had to refresh windows explorer on many a time to find files that I put in while explorer is open. I will take another look at this myself as I am working on a project that requires symbols and requires me to create and add new symbols.

Marek has I feel answered the questions you have posed.

As for the mouse jumping off screen, I have never had that.

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* December 07, 2011, 05:30:18 PM
Today I added dimension to a control panel which has a rectangular cutout for an LCD. The height of the panel is 7.70",  and the cutout is 1.070" high. Below the cutout is 4.915" and above is 1.715. The vertical dimension for the cutout is 1.65". The other dimensions are correct.

Do you think I should file a bug report?

December 08, 2011, 05:20:43 AM
Bobby, can you post the file to the forum and we can see what is happening for you? I think and it sounds like your picking up a strange point.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* December 08, 2011, 06:02:32 AM
The 'y' dimension 4.55" is also wrong. It should be 4.055". I don't believe the .67" at the top right corner of the cutout either.

* December 08, 2011, 10:44:18 AM
Hi
Format of units  used in your drawing should be marked as "decimals" (snap4). Select your panel (Ctrl + A) or only dimensions (Edit / Select by / Entity-Linear Dimension), click right mouse  on highlighting elements and from local menu select Properties / Units Tolerance and set format "decimals", then OK and you will see correct dimensions. By the way, remember that "round off" should be equal to or greater than the "Precision" (see Reference Manuals p. 381). Pay attention that if you have not selected "convert units after alteration" in the Options / Drawing Set up / Space, during conversion  units from mm to inch, 10mm becomes  10 inch. For the exercises you can select the dimensions  in your drawing and change formats: decimals, engineering, fractionals ... and see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:34:28 PM by Marek »

* December 20, 2011, 11:51:14 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Since no bugs have been admitted, I am left only to assume that it was the intent of the software developers that the program should behave as it does.

Was it also the intent that a native format document should export as a pdf with multi-line text running outside of the border?

What about a graphic object that looked good in my drawing yesterday, but looks horribly grainy with ugly colors when I loaded it today?

Why am I unable to export a decent looking graphic image format? I tried them all and the resolution is horrific in every one of them.

I wonder how the developers would justify the page setup wizard where it asks for 'Decimal Precision', but then the setting is completely ignored in the drawing, and defaults back to 2?

Since all of the responders stated disclaimers on their credibility, offering only opinions, personal experience, and work-arounds, I am also wondering whether this is a real 'product support' forum, or is it nothing more than a vent portal.

I saw in one forum post where a poster was chided for interfering with the "marketing strategy". What kind of marketing strategy is it that seems so tolerant of these apparent problems, and pretends that they are not problems?

December 20, 2011, 01:41:39 PM
I saved a file as a PDF from within DoubleCAD and found no multi-line text running outside the border. I did however save two files one as jpeg and the other a gif and both were not very good. As for saving images, I use a program called 'ScreenHunter' and find this more suited to my requirments. Doing a full screen shot, the text is still not too good. But, if I do a smaller area, the text is very clear. I am not too sure what goes here, but I am guessing it has to do with the size of the text/pixels as smaller text would be more difficult to render nice and clear.

Page setup wizard. I do not use it, I find it a pain, used it once. Wish it was not there, however, I create my own template, set parameters there and then I am good to go. I will take a look at your file, I did not since Marek had done so, and do you a templete you can use.

A problem I see with some posters and I mean no disrespect to anyone, some users are complete newbies to CAD and there is considerable learning and what seems easy for some, well you know where I am going there. I do not for one minute think that this forum is a 'vent portal', sure it does rely heavily on users such as yourself and many others to tell of problems or perceived problems, where us BETA testers can take a look and confirm back on the closed BETA forum where it is seen also by administrators of this forum. Some issues may be known and they, the programmers have decided that this problem does not warrant urgent or as urgent attention. As with all CAD, there are many ways of doing one thing.

I appreciate your comments and it is not until yours or anyone elses comments/problems are aired do we programmers & BETA testers know about them as we all do different things with this program. You may not really be aware of this, but many BETA testers lurk here and we do take files down, thats why we ask for them if possible, to be posted, so we can take a look at what is going on. Be warned though, we could be using a later edition, but many of us have 'released versions' also installed, so answers may vary. Any files I take down, I do not and never will disclose of them to a third party and delete them when done.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* December 21, 2011, 08:48:17 AM
If I was employed in support of Doublecad, I can't imagine how my job security could be improved by recommending third party alternatives for users to perform tasks which Doublecad proudly proclaims to be proficient in. How many programs do you recommend that I install to fill the voids left by Doublecad? I've seen recommendations on this forum for CutePDF, PDFCreater, and now ScreenHunter.

The multi-line text that went outside of the border on a pdf export used Verdana font at .15 inch. I imported the text from a text file and formated it in Doublecad. I tried the same text in a new document today with arial font at .153 and it looked good in the pdf. I changed the font back to Verdana and exported to pdf and it looked good also. Then when I changed to another font, the program crashed and had to close. I experienced three such crashes this morning when I made changes to the text. I exported another pdf copy of the file I was working with yesterday and it also overflowed the border. It seems to work like magic. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it don't.

You can't offend me by suggesting that I lack experience. I am rather amused by some of the experienced advice being offered on this forum. It appears to me that experience with Doublecad teaches tolerance and work-around techniques far more than any other software I use.

I'll try your template, but I already have one formated with my drawing preferences.

December 21, 2011, 11:55:49 AM
I am sorry for how you feel and find your question "How many programs do you recommend that I install to fill the voids left by Doublecad?" one I am rather stumped on. As I stated, I use ScreenHunter "more suited to my requirements" as I do with CutePDF and a number of other programs that I use in conjunction with DoubleCAD.

Your second paragraph. Thankyou, that is the type of feed back that is required. I will and I am sure that there will be others on the BETA team that will take this paragraph away and take a look at it and post to the BETA forum. I know I shall. If we can confirm this is happening (which it obviously is) it will be logged as a bug. As to when this gets fixed I cannot answer that question, it is up to the powers that be as to the urgency.

"tolerance and work-around" have you tried working with SolidWorks? I have had SolidWorks crash on the simplist of things and have had to do work rounds to get done what I wanted. I am sorry if you find amusing "some of the experienced advice being offered", but it is how some of us do things and have found best for those offering advice. I also use9not very often now) and teach AutoCAD and find that this application not all that it is cracked up to be, as is MS Word - perhaps thats why I have switched to open source office products? Not all applications work how one would expect and they all have their quirks and dear is say this "work arounds".

I do not think I will bother with offering my services to you - for free - to supply you with a template all ready to rock and roll as this could be a "third party alternative" that you would "have to install to fill the voids left by DoubleCAD". Infact I wont.

This topic has now been logged on the BETA forum so we shall see if the problems can be emulated and if so, I shall post back to this forum topic.

Further, my CAD experience goes back to AutoCAD 2.5 and it gives me pleasure to help users with problems and I have done so on a number of CAD forums. I have created many CAD tutorials and the feed back on those works has been very good to a point where some users of my work keep emailing me as to when I am doing more and the "cost if of no importance - we want your work!" "Your way of doing things is very clear and simple", "Why did I not think of that?" I must be doing something right if IMSI come to me and ask if I would be interested in doing tutorials for "this product?" Sorry, but I have vented my spleen here as I have been working all night.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:40:39 PM by SteveMS »

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M