Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Beginner DoubleCAD XT Video Tutorial
Read 12453 times
November 17, 2011, 04:35:05 AM
G'day,

Just letting anyone who might be interested know that I have put together a multi part video tutorial walking through how to draft up a simple timber workbench using DoubleCAD. The tutorial is aimed at people who are new to DoubleCAD or cad software in general but might be of interested to more experienced users.

You access all the videos at www.CraftyCAD.com or directly from YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/CraftyCAD

Please feel free to leave me any comments, feedback, or suggestions (in fact it would be very much appreciated if you do so I can improve the videos) :)

Cam

**update**
Hi All,

Just letting you know that my latest video tutorial series is available.
In this series I walk through the creation of a simple wooden Burr Puzzle in SketchUp and then jump into DoubleCAD XT to dimension and document the model for printing. Hope you enjoy the videos. As always, comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.
You can access the videos on my website www.CraftyCAD.com or directly through youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/CraftyCAD

**update**
G'day,

Just a heads up to anyone who might be interested that I have just uploaded a mini video tutorial demonstrating the basics of the different coordinate systems (Absolute, Relative, and Polar) in DoubleCAD XT. This video is less than 4 minutes so you shouldn't get bored of my voice in this one :)
The video can be accessed at the same links as above. Hope you enjoy the video.

Cam
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:51:13 AM by Cam »

Visit www.CraftyCAD.com for some beginner DoubleCAD XT tutorials. *New* CraftyCAD hits facebook www.facebook.com/CraftyCAD

November 21, 2011, 01:40:09 PM
Cam, that is pretty good. It is very similar to what I have written for the tutorial I have done for TurboCAD LTE and DoubleCAD. What did you use to record the video? I would also like to talk with you on this off forum.

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

November 22, 2011, 09:39:07 AM
Hi All,

I've added some new video tutorials, please see the top post for details.

Thanks,
Cam

Visit www.CraftyCAD.com for some beginner DoubleCAD XT tutorials. *New* CraftyCAD hits facebook www.facebook.com/CraftyCAD

November 24, 2011, 06:52:19 AM
Hi,

Here is one more video for the collection, this time a mini video tutorial on the different coordinate systems.

Please check the updated original post for details.

Regards,
Cam

* January 01, 2012, 08:37:23 AM
Hi CAM
Nice video tutorials for beginners, do you intend to do some more - maybe some PDF tutorials as well?

Cheers

Spider

January 01, 2012, 09:25:10 AM
Spider, I do tutorials and I have one for TurboCAD LTE which is a very similar product. The tutorial is available from here: http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCADWindows/Training/TrainingforTurboCADLTELTEPro/tabid/1979/Default.aspx I have a DoubleCAD tutorial which will be ready for posting in the next week or two.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 01, 2012, 10:02:53 AM
Thanks for the link Steve most of that stuff advertised in the tutorial description I have covered in a 2D course at my local technical college - albeit with AutoCAD so I am probably just passed "beginner" stage but I hope to make the switch to using DoubleCAD and of course I will need to ask many questions with this switch I am sure!

However when I have some spare cash I might buy your tutorial if i think I need to have a quick reference "know how" guide.

January 01, 2012, 11:22:06 AM
So, you need the 'advanced' stuff. That is following the architectual work, followed by..........Let me get the TurboCAD LTE stuff done which is about another 2 weeks work, then I'll be flying through the DoubleCAD work and that will not take too long. Just some checking etc etc. then off to IMSI.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 01, 2012, 12:57:19 PM
Not too advanced no - maybe beginner/intermediate stuff would be about rightI guess! I think its more about getting used to how things are done in DoubleCAD. If the DoubleCAD/TurboCAD LTE are about the same - why not just have one Guide not 2?

January 04, 2012, 09:52:56 PM
Hi spider,
Thanks for the feedback!
Very sorry for the delay in replying. I've barely had a moment to myself over the holiday season. Things are settling down again so I will be making some more video tutorials very shortly. I have posted a bit of info about an upcoming sketch up to doublecad video I'm planning on my website Www.craftycad.com. I am also hoping to do a video tutorial drawing up the plans for a timber decking project. Which should cover some new ground for my videos ( ie different scales, and blocks ) so be sure to check back regularly.

Steve my apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I will make it a priority to email you as we discussed. I should have more time with the silly season over :)

Regards,
Cam

January 04, 2012, 11:40:04 PM
Spider, I understand that there are some subtle differences not too sure but I should know.

Cam, no problems as I am head down too.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 05, 2012, 03:25:30 AM
Cam
-thanks for that ,I think that would be great for everyone to understand "Blocks" a little better! There have been one or two queries about the use of blocks recently, but Steve is right there are small fundamental differences between versions of DoubleCAD and DoubleCAD Pro and TurboCAD LTE and TurboCAD LTE Pro - in that -using "Blocks" for example in "free" version of DoubleCAD you can edit a blocks attributes (line width etc.)  but in the "Pro" version you can also use the "Design Director" to do this which is only available in the "DoubleCAD Pro" version! and this makes the process very smooth indeed.

Again as Steve says there are also subtle differences between LTE and LTE Pro so I think it would be wise to mention this in your Video Tutorial so as not to confuse anybody ;)!

Cam I think its great that you have your own site, personally I think it would be also great to have an area on this Forum (or a link to the IMSI website as well) where users can upload their Video tutorials as well? Feature request maybe? - forum administrators are you listening? :)

Steve -

Out of courtesy to you I have purchased and downloaded your "LTE training" guide and will work through it, I think by doing this it will help me to accustom myself to How you do things in DoubleCAD/LTE. I`ll let you know of any errors etc ha, ha, ha  ;D - I am well aquainted with editing and writing such material myself (as we discussed)!

Anyway to sum up I think video tutorials are great for a quick visual how to but I think really its also good to have "Hard copy" written material as well for reference,especially "work-type" books to work through exercises because undoubtedly this is the better way to learn anything - by doing it!

Regards

Spider

January 05, 2012, 11:05:49 AM
Spider, thanks for buying my work! When doing the work, you will notice that there is mention of using the paperwork in other versions, but what happens may or may not be the same as some functions are not there or do not work quite the same. But the exercises can still be done. I know that as I have also done them in the free versions. That work is for the complete beginner and is similar to what I have been teaching at the local polytech. What you see in those pages, get taught over 3 days, then on the 4th, all revision and a few extras and then on the 5th day, a test to see if they make the grade.

As for posting videos, I find with another forum, not CAD, that I post my videos to PhotoBucket and psot a link back on the forum concerned.

I would be very interested to get your thoughts good or bad on the tutorial. This way, I can make the new ones better. I think you would call it 'evolution'. I plan to do videos also that would also be on the supplied CD/DVD and my plan is to have them only 10 to 15 minutes in length - short and punchy. If they are too long, boredom sets in.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 05, 2012, 12:56:54 PM
Steve
Thanks for the info about "Photobucket" I`ll have a look at that ;), and yes I will let you know how the tutorial goes and I`ll ask questions if I need to on the way - if that`s ok? :)

spider

January 05, 2012, 01:05:18 PM
No problems Spider. Here is a link to my photbucket: http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/z650Steve/?action=view&current=P1000811.mp4 Not CAD, but shows you that you can link.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M