Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

DoubleCAD v3 free version and printing
Read 4178 times
* August 02, 2011, 11:51:47 AM
Hello,

I recently installed DoubleCAD v3 pro trial over my v2 copy.  This worked ok, but when I reverted back to the free version my printing capability is all messed up.  For clarification I do print from model space and not paper space.  I only use one view so I don't need the capability of paper space. 

Problem 1: DoubleCAD won't recognize the printer paper sizes, (my desk printer is only 8.5 x 11, the office printer has 11x17 sheets as well.  When I select my desk printer the only paper size available according to DoubleCAD is 11x17 which I can't use.  Then when I select the office printers it only shows 8.5x11. 

Problem 2:  DoubleCAD won't center the model space on the paper, say when printing a .pdf file, I choose a 11x17 drawing sheet correctly and 11x17 printer paper, it overlaps. I do try changing portrait/landscape but can not make it fit on one paper.  The columns and rows selection is grayed out so I can't limit it to one sheet.

I have tried uninstalling DoubleCAD and re-installing the free version from the archive which I saw in another post.  I have removed my printer drivers and re-installed them.  This problem is duplicated on both of my computers.  This was not a problem in v1 or v2 pro trial or free, or in pro 3 that I remember (possible I didn't print during the month trial but I think I did.)

Thanks,
Brian

August 03, 2011, 08:22:38 AM
Yes, XT has limited printing fuctionality, in fact limited to a paper size of 8.5x11 or A4 in all cases.

On the Paper page of the Page Setup dialog there is a Keep Centered option. Also on the main page of the Print dialog there is a 'Fit to 1 page' option.

* August 04, 2011, 10:33:25 AM
I am curious, where does this response fit in with:

No Catches
We're trying to shake up the CAD world. We won't do that unless we have something special.

DoubleCAD XT is a full-powered 2D CAD application one that you already know how to use and is free with none of the usual limitations:

We're not constraining PRINTING, saving, file sizes...

I didn't see any mention of reduced/constrained printing in the advert for v3.

* August 04, 2011, 03:08:02 PM
What we mean is you can print... many free products and trial products remove the print function... or watermark it to death.

We hope this isn't unreasonable... this entire conversation turns out to be somewhat of a challenge... on one hand, we really want to create what one reviewer called a "generous" free product... that is, a free product that is exceedingly capable.  On the other hand, we have to differentiate our paid product enough so that people will actually pay for it.

Overall we hope we've struck the right balance... but specifically we know there are multiple places where our free customers may like more and we apologize for any inconvenience in this regard.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:09:59 PM by Royal »

August 14, 2011, 04:27:30 PM
Have you tried removing DoubleCAD from registry and then reloading? This may fix your printing problem back with the free release.

Royal is not being unrealistic. The free version is a good product on its own and in most cases, for what folk are doing it is more than capabale. However, I do not know what you are drawing and whether that warrants the pro version. As it stands, the free version does give the likes of AutoCAD a wake up call.

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* August 25, 2011, 03:59:39 PM
If I purchase TurboCAD LTE, would that have the same printer handicap or is full printing functionality available in TurboCAD LTE?

Thanks,