Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Grid drawing - SOLVED
Read 4057 times
* May 19, 2011, 03:31:11 PM
Okay, new project, new tasks.

Industrial storage facility. Of course I need a grid for the column and support structure layout.

So, does anyone have an idea on how to quickly whip up a grid with fixed spacing in x-direction and different spacing in y-direction, without having to change the global grid. The reason I dont want to have to change the global grid is that I have several smaller areas with a repetitive column structure.

Tables could be a starting point, and having constraints would be nice, too (although I have only a slight idea how constraints might work, not being on PRO (yet!because of, you know, regionalization issues)).

So, anyone?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:23:52 AM by Michael_1138 »

Working with DCad XT V3.1 build 37.0
TurboCad V17 Platinum

* May 20, 2011, 12:12:18 AM
Hi Michael

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. If you want to have your grid, you can draw a rectangle with size x, y that you want  and use "Modify / Array / Array", to determine the required number of rows and columns. For this grid will work snaping to nodes. You can put it on layer and then turn on and off visibility.

May 20, 2011, 08:14:15 AM
That is the best method of making an altenate 'grid'
I would add two items

set the color of the rectangles close to the color of your background - this will reduce visual clutter as you draw

lock the layer on which you put the alternate grid. You can still snap to it, but you won't accidentally select one of its elements

May 20, 2011, 10:47:40 AM
If he were using Pro, would a PPM work pretty well, or some Ruby script?

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

May 20, 2011, 11:15:42 AM
Yes, that could work quiter well, and it would be readily reconformable.

* May 20, 2011, 11:23:25 AM
Hey guys,

excellent!!! Marek, exactly what I was looking for!!!

I created a reference point marker and put it into an array.

THEN I had the idea to see what would happen with a selection of that array, and lo and behold, of course scaling that selection works like a charm! So, now I have a grid that I can scale, stretch, skewer (in theory, have to try that one yet). So, for the moment Im a happy camper ;)

Thanks guys!

Oh, and Ill definitely have to read up on PPM objects (I know what parts per million are, but not what PPM stands for in DoubleCAD/AutoCAD)

Michael

TurboCad V17 Platinum

* May 20, 2011, 07:06:45 PM
re: Ill definitely have to read up on PPM objects (I know what parts per million are, but not what PPM stands for in DoubleCAD/AutoCAD).

Try Parametric Part Manager in the Help file; that may it.

* May 21, 2011, 12:50:34 AM
Thanks, will do!

Now I wonder if PPM-objects are interchangeable between TurboCAD and DoubleCad, and whether I should give TurboCAD a try or not ...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:04:28 AM by Michael_1138 »

TurboCad V17 Platinum

* May 21, 2011, 03:19:22 AM
Hi Michael

DCAD and Turbocad  have the same engine. Scripts in VB, which were written for DCAD, I could use also in TCAD (I tried them in TCAD 15.2 Pro). I ran a few scripts PPM written for DCAD  in TCAD,also. TCAD is a great 3D program with lots of tools that allow for 3D modeling and rendering. I think you should try it, as it would be useful for your needs. There are several versions of this program, varying in price depending on the availability of different tools.

* May 21, 2011, 05:32:19 AM
Hi Marek,

already looking into this, atm I cant see a real difference between DCad and TurboCAD, so Ill stick with DoubleCAD for the moment, especially since it looks like there are not more architectural features hidden in Turbocad than in DCAD, and TC does not have those tools that I am looking for, either.

TurboCad V17 Platinum

* May 21, 2011, 06:40:41 AM

I have not tried yet the 18th version of TC.  I think , that it is not  probably a big difference in terms of architectural tools IN Tc and Dcad. Some probably there are. I read somewhere that for example in TC18 is a new way  for dimensioning windows. If you do not need to draw in 3D, Dcad  actually gives the necessary possibilities. I did in  TC  3D visualization of 2D projects and then the TC gave opportunities that are not available in DCAD. Recently, however, I draw only in 2D and I'm doing it in the DCAD.

* May 21, 2011, 08:27:58 AM
Hey Marek,

no, atm I dont need any 3D, but a few basic but critical dimensioning features are missing from both DoubleCAD and TurboCAD as it seems.

TurboCad V17 Platinum