Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

3d capabilities
Read 2995 times
* May 05, 2011, 11:42:24 PM
Had the time to explore the interface a little bit last couple of days. It seams that when imported skp
files are exploded hidden line mode for them disappear? See pic.
2 floors. Lowest floor(group) is exploded.

It would be nice to able to work in hidden line mode and have a push and pull or move tool.
rotate would be nice to. Theres almost all you need if the modeling is nearly done in other ap.
Instead of using a lot of xref going back and forth between Skp.
Of course this would require surface modeling, not so easy to acquire I suppose?

But it would take Dcad to a new level with som simple 3d editing tools and be more than perfect companion to SKP.

The thing with SKP is that it only has a precision of 0,01. I reckon Dcad can do better?

Also, one very nice feature in Dcad is drag and drop customize icons onto toolbar. Really neat.
Is there a switch for  camera perspective?
Anyway for me at least, it is easier to work in perspective mode when modeling/editing in 3d.
A similar way like in Skp. Parallel - perspective mode fast switch would be useful.

Thanks

edit.Actually one can see through the bottom of second floor as well. When switched to "non rendable obj" the base floorgroup(ungrouped) disappeared. BUG?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:10:33 AM by Jolran »

May 06, 2011, 07:20:50 AM
You can rotate the model in DCAD.  Shift + Middle Mouse Button gives you orbit.  Also standard views are available either as a toolbar or under View> 3D Views.

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

* May 06, 2011, 10:31:04 AM
Yes thanks :)

But I meant rotating the geometry in an easy fashion. And push pull a la Vectorwerks or Sketchup. I know you can move the
geometry in edit mode, but pulling around dots in xyz space is just a pain. In that case its better to remodel elsewhere...

You can drag and drop icon(commands) as you like. I was wondering if something similar could be made for switching between perspective view and non.

* May 08, 2011, 11:56:31 PM
Ok. New Idea regarding editing of 3d objects.

Have about "Link" plug in? Like in Zbrush - go Z.

For ex being a sketchup user.
When editing a block in blockeditor. Inside editor one could press a linkbutton and open up sketchup for editing in 3d. Save and exit in SU.
The edit is now shown in Dcad blockeditor where one has the opportunity to save changes. Done.

The method is destructive for current project. But the major advantage(comparing to using Xref
all over the place) is speed. You would only have to work with the block and not the whole model.
Setting up the same workflow with Xrefs would require a LOT of xrefs and take quite a bit of work.

Disadvantage. Working in this way without xrefs would make a new version in Dcad without altering
the original sketchup file.

Maybe Im overlooking the workflow with xrefs. But still think it would be nice to edit individual blocks externaly with program of choice(format must be valid) without any setting up.

May 09, 2011, 09:24:56 PM
I'm not familiar with zbrush.  What exactly do you want?  The ability to open the xref in it's native program?  I'm ok with launching sketchup to edit an *.skp xref in DCAD.  In fact it sounds like a great idea to me.

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

* May 09, 2011, 10:46:34 PM
Hi!

Well, the function should be in the block editor. So it doesent have to be an Xref. Just a block in Dcad.

So you could even start drawing in dcad. For ex, draw some lines and make them a block.
Next go into blockeditor and launch sketchup to do some extrusion etc. Save in sketchup. And accept an update in Dcad.

This opens up some new workflow possibilities. I for one would probably use Dcad in an earlier stage of the project.

All these things can be done manually already. Export collada to Sketchup. Import SKP to Dcad.

However this sounds easy, it may not be easy to implement in DCAD.

The good thing is if this would work, in my case, I wouldn't feel the need for new
3d tools in DCAD. IMSI could just keep working on doublecad 2D. Not towards Turbocad which I don't think IMSI design wants anyway.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:54:21 PM by Jolran »

May 10, 2011, 07:35:06 AM
Hmm - sort of a 3D block creator/editor, could be done and might be useful too. Actually, I like both ideas; the 3D block creator, and the auto-link-n-launch for xref editing (i.e. link to native application)

* May 10, 2011, 09:48:41 AM
Would be a good "pro feature". And another reason to go PRO ;)