Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Scale related position of dimensioning lines
Read 2835 times
* May 02, 2011, 06:12:41 AM
Hey folks,

I havenīt seen it or heard of in other CAD programs, but one thing that Iīd like to see realized as a feature would be the automatic adjustment of dimensioning lines and their distances to each other.

Itīs a layout thing, since when I change the scale of a floor plan, of course the distances for my dimensioning lines wonīt work anymore and I have to rearrange everything again, which is the most timeconsuming task in changing scales.

So, anyone got any ideas about this?

Working with DCad XT V3.1 build 37.0
TurboCad V17 Platinum

* May 06, 2011, 02:08:32 AM
+1

that would be a time saver. Though navigation is pretty slow with a big model right now, I guess this feature would not make it better ;D

* May 07, 2011, 01:22:24 AM
Well, atm I am working in 2D only, since I canīt justify doing 3D work on smaller projects, so the performance should not be an issue.

I am really amazed that there arenīt more people commenting on this.

TurboCad V17 Platinum

May 07, 2011, 07:02:13 AM
AutoCAD does this with it's annotative styles (at least it's suppose to).  I can't ever get it to work 100% right.  Basically all annotative stuff - linetypes, text, leader arrows, dimension lines/spaces, etc., scale up/down in the paperspace viewport as you change the display scale of the VP.  In fact, you can have multiple VP of different scales on the same layout showing the same exact annotations all re-scaled for each VP.
But again, I can never get it to work quite right (probably lack of experience).

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

* May 07, 2011, 08:56:34 AM
So the workaround is dimensioning in modelspace?

I just experienced this issue in a project. When I suddenly decided I was gonna split up
the project on 2 pages and scale up the model on each page for clarity.
A lot of extra work. Luckely I had dimensioned majority of the project by mistake in modelspace, and those dimensions scaled up nicely..

* May 07, 2011, 09:31:07 AM
Hi jolran,

I myself dimension in model space. The main problem that I have is with multiple dimension lines above and below each other. The distances between them is the problem :(

TurboCad V17 Platinum

* May 07, 2011, 11:01:25 PM
Ah, yes how that can be a problem. And I noticed is kind of irritating to go back and forth between
model and layoutspace.

* May 08, 2011, 12:44:44 AM
Bam! You got it ;)

I found an interesting document about dimensioning in Turbocad, and lo and behold, the similarities are astounding :p No, not really, same maker, similar dimensioning tools ;)

http://www.cad-assist.com/pdfs/tc2d1chap11.pdf

TurboCad V17 Platinum

* May 08, 2011, 11:16:45 PM
Ohh thats scientific :D Normaly I just dimension by eye. Maybe should be more vary.
Actually I'm evaluating Turbocad right now. Just started. The programs are very similiar.
I would really like to see an detailed comparison between Tcad and Dcad.

* May 10, 2011, 02:52:30 AM
Ohh thats scientific :D Normaly I just dimension by eye.

What? Youīre pulling my leg, right? ;) Dimensioning is really quite accurate in DCad, and the reference point feature updates chains of dimensions quite nicely.

Actually I'm evaluating Turbocad right now. Just started. The programs are very similiar.
I would really like to see an detailed comparison between Tcad and Dcad.

Yes, Iīd like to see that, too.

Turbocad is about three times the price of DCad, though, and I actually am not looking for any 3D capabilities since I only need it for 2D drawing, from time to time using it to dimension Sketchup models.

TurboCad V17 Platinum