Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Help shape the future of DoubleCAD 2011
Read 9436 times
April 05, 2011, 02:05:34 PM

Thank you for using DoubleCAD.  Your feedback is important to us.  Would you be willing to take a brief 3-4 minute survey?

Your opinion will help steer the future direction of DoubleCAD.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DoubleCAD2011

We thank you in advance for your time!

The DoubleCAD Team

* April 06, 2011, 04:39:47 AM
Hm,

I must say that the survey left me totally unsatisfied.

I think that a lot of important questions are missing to really "shape the future" of anything.

It looks like the questionnaire concentrated way too much on interest in technical issues than in questions of usability or functionality. I know how hard it is to set up a questionnaire, but to be brutally honest, that one looked like it was set up by an intern  >:D

Itīs not really structured, as far as I can remember (that lil bugger memorized my IP, I assume, since I canīt reenter it) the types of questions were all over the place, i.e questions about who uses it to age group to technical questions about the potential use of GPU accelleration.

What is the goal of that questionnaire? I canīt see it! The only thing that I would get from such a survey is maybe that plugins would be nice to have.

I think itīs not necessarily time wasted, but if it was more detailed, everyone would get more from it.

Michael

Working with DCad XT V3.1 build 37.0
TurboCad V17 Platinum

* April 06, 2011, 05:25:07 AM
I thought it was ok :). With the additional comments I felt one could fill
in the gaps if needed.

I do feel the need for more news in this forum.
About next versions and such. I reckon the policy here is to reveal nothing, until "this years" software is out.

http://forums.doublecad.com/index.php?topic=1877.0

There are pros and cons with that.. But it is nice to have teasers. It keeps the potentional costumers from investing in other software while waiting....

And what about the forum? It scares me scrolling down the general section seing
1 year old+ topic.

Low forum activity or low dev activity/news = Is it safe to invest time and money in this software?

April 06, 2011, 07:48:11 AM
Michael_1138

Sorry the survey left you unsatisfied.  I am not an intern, so I must admit that one hurt :D.   I'm curious at to what questions did you want asked?  The survey contains sections where you are free to discuss anything you desire.  We also wanted to keep the survey quick and brief so it could be completed in 4 minutes or less.  Most users get fatigued and data becomes inaccurate if we asked pages and pages of questions.

The goal of the survey is intended to help shape the future of DoubleCAD and the questions asked pertain to features that our customers have been asking for in addition to knowing if there are any problems preventing customers from using the product.

Age group and graphic acceleration help us target the right markets and computer systems.  We want to make sure we create a DoubleCAD that the majority of our users want and a Survey is just one piece of data that will get us there.

The poll you conducted regarding "What is your job?" is data that we already have from download information as well as other info that we do not want to duplicate in the survey.

Thanks

Hm,

I must say that the survey left me totally unsatisfied.

I think that a lot of important questions are missing to really "shape the future" of anything.

It looks like the questionnaire concentrated way too much on interest in technical issues than in questions of usability or functionality. I know how hard it is to set up a questionnaire, but to be brutally honest, that one looked like it was set up by an intern  >:D

Itīs not really structured, as far as I can remember (that lil bugger memorized my IP, I assume, since I canīt reenter it) the types of questions were all over the place, i.e questions about who uses it to age group to technical questions about the potential use of GPU accelleration.

What is the goal of that questionnaire? I canīt see it! The only thing that I would get from such a survey is maybe that plugins would be nice to have.

I think itīs not necessarily time wasted, but if it was more detailed, everyone would get more from it.

Michael
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:08:32 AM by Doug »

* April 06, 2011, 11:45:40 AM
I also think that the survey is satisfactory. I do not like long surveys. Regarding functionality and usability, there is a whole thread on the forum "Feature Request / Wish List ". I think that the creators of DCAD read it carefully  (probably also other threads) and it is a mine of knowledge, which will not be  fulfilled by any survey.  As for what it says Jolran, in fact,thread "General Announcements" is not very active, but  this refers mainly to new versions that appear once a year, plus every version with the patches. The creators probably do not want to say what they intend to do  because there is competition. However, in the others threads of the forum is probably not so bad. I've seen various forums, where we were waiting for responses  even weeks. Forum activity depends on all members and guests. It seems to me also that we can also read a lot but maybe not directly, on changes in program in all the topics the forum.

* April 07, 2011, 12:25:02 AM
Marek. Yeah ok. It was a bad example referring to the "general sections", my mistake :-X

And I was rethinking about software-policy yesterday, there are some holes in the statement i made. I may consider secretes about upcoming versions.
For ex if Company A has a new feature and goes out with the information in public before the release. Then Company B can adapt, catch up and surpass.

Approx release dates would probably not hurt anyone...What year the software is releasing in, is a little vague in my ears..

I could not mind more video tutorials. Although douclecad training guide is really
good(helped me alot) ,one can not get enough of tutorials ;D

* April 07, 2011, 07:02:15 AM
Doug, yeah, well it was meant to be "zinger"  >:D :lol :lol :lol :D :D

Iīm in a bit of a hurry atm, and canīt find a way to reenter the survey, I think cookie deletion might help, or another computer and Iīll have another look at it, returning with more substantial "suggestions" ;)

The thing is that due to my personal background of having worked with a small software company (actually just one person with another codefreak helping occasionally) I am a bit biased when I see topics in a survey about moving a software to the next level that heavily smell of "technophily". I could not care less about being asked whether my graphics card has a gpu or not. Of course you have to look at new tech, but to me itīs like having a flashback, with people focusing on graphics and such but forgetting the much more important issues of usability and functionality. To be honest, I think that atm there is still some room for performance improvent on three year old machines (my laptop is four years old and could still be used better).

Regarding the survey itself, I kind of missed a question about what os people were using DoubleCad on, just for example.

But again, Iīll come back later with more substantial suggestions ;)

TurboCad V17 Platinum

April 07, 2011, 04:29:35 PM
Hi Michael_1138,

We are asking the GPU question because we will be releasing a Graphic Accelerator plug-in soon for DoubleCAD XT which requires a GPU card.  So naturally we want to confirm that the majority of our user base is able to run it.

As far as the other questions you mentioned like "what is your job?" and "what OS users are running",  those questions were already asked when you downloaded DoubleCAD so we don't want to duplicate those questions on the survey because we already have that info. 

We do listen to everyone on the forums and are doing our best to create the DoubleCAD you desire, so thanks for the input and keep it coming!

* April 08, 2011, 12:44:35 PM
Just a little sidenote since you are doing marketing research for Dcad.

What is up with the Webinar schedule on doublecad.com?
Its a good thing to have a schedule if it has some content.
So far I cant see any activity planned at all in the future.
Doesent look good if you ask me.

* April 10, 2011, 02:23:28 AM
Hi Doug,

I hope you werenīt too miffed by my response ;)

Hi Michael_1138,

We are asking the GPU question because we will be releasing a Graphic Accelerator plug-in soon for DoubleCAD XT which requires a GPU card.  So naturally we want to confirm that the majority of our user base is able to run it.

A good point. You are already planning to release the GPA plug-in. So, since you seemingly already put a lot of work into this side project, I personally donīt see the point to actually include a question about it in the survey. The road map for that one is already laid out, so unless youīd stop work on that plugin if not enough people say that they use a GPA card, I donīt see the point for the question.

My very own personal opinion about the GPA card development is that itīs not that important, since itīs limiting DCad to the windows world. I do prefer standards like OpenGL, since they are mostly OS independent. Correct me if Iīm wrong. A plugin is great, but since DCad does not make too much use of 3d elements, I donīt see the point for such a hardware implementation. Heck, I have an old TIGA card lying around that accellerated my old 486 beyond my then wildest dreams. But was it used by my then-CAD program you bet it wasnīt properly :\

As far as the other questions you mentioned like "what is your job?" and "what OS users are running",  those questions were already asked when you downloaded DoubleCAD so we don't want to duplicate those questions on the survey because we already have that info. 

What I wanted to achieve is to give everyone a chance to see what our fellow members are using DCad for. I get the impression that more architects are around than any other profession group.

We do listen to everyone on the forums and are doing our best to create the DoubleCAD you desire, so thanks for the input and keep it coming!

To make the forum experience even more better and probably make it easier for you I strongly suggest to clean up the forum. The various subforums have similar threads in each forum. I think that a few of the subforums could be merged together, helping everyone to keep track of questions and topics.

The topics usually are

- questions about functions and how to solve something, often including
issues with DCad not working properly and hence becoming bug reports

- Installation issues

- suggestions to improve DoubleCAD

I suggest to

keep the "General announcements" and "Feature request/Wish list",

merge

- "General Discussions" into "Utterly off topic" (that one isnīt used that much anyway) being dedicated to everything that is not directly connected to DoubleCAD, i.e. really off topic stuff, including working with 3rd party software, with everything regarding DoubleCAD moved to

- "DoubleCAD XT discussion", "Need help?", "Bug reporting", probably split up into subforums for each new release,

change

- "Tips and tricks" into a subforum dedicated to tutorials.

The "User Gallery" is a step child of this forum anyway, with the newest post being almost two years old. Keeping it or omitting it and merging it into the the "DoubleCAD discussion" would not make any difference atm.

A cleaner forum structure would be a great improvement. Usually there are about 10 users active everytime I am on the board, so the board is a source for information. One of my personal buying incentives is good support and an accessible forum as a knowledge base (which I of course am willing to contribute to), and I think that this goes for others as well.

So weīd be down to four or five subforums instead of nine, with a lot more life in all those smaller ones. I must admit that it irritates the heck out of me if I see a forum with posts older than maybe a few weeks at the top.

Michael

TurboCad V17 Platinum

April 10, 2011, 09:46:20 AM
Ok, thanks for your advice and opinions.  We'll take some into consideration.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:04:10 AM by Doug »

* April 24, 2011, 07:20:30 AM

Ok, thanks for you advice and opinions.  We'll take some into consideration.

Iīd be already happy with a small forum clean up, getting rid of older announcements  ;) But I just saw that TC 18 rolled out, so I guess you guys are all understandably pretty busy atm :\

TurboCad V17 Platinum

April 25, 2011, 09:17:38 AM
Michael,

We are looking at what we can do to streamline, including moving older post or topics. We need to formulate a policy and determine technical issues. One consideration you should be aware of is that the forum is intended not only to serve as a living community, but also as a knowledge base.

May 30, 2011, 03:08:28 PM

I haven't been frequenting this forum of late, busy with other things, but it seems the gist of the responses in this thread supports what I've been saying from the beginning.

Doublecad needs to concentrate on ease of use, speed, and consistency in basic drafting features we need to use every day.  There are plenty of features, but the basics are still not very intuitive.

Every time a new user struggles to print, set scale, draw or edit text, establish dimension styles, draw an arrow or a leader, etc you risk losing a potential customer.  They will never see the finer features if they can't get past here.

I like doublecad, but if I need to get something done, i haul out Designcad or older version of Autocad.  I can't get my head around their ribbon.  Try and find the equivalent of view, zoom or File, print ?????

* June 08, 2011, 08:32:05 AM
Brian, I have to say that I like to see that you guys have started to streamline the website :thumbsup

TurboCad V17 Platinum