Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

creation of a profile from contours and snapping to 3D polylines.
Read 3369 times
* March 15, 2011, 07:00:38 AM
I'd love to see a feature to help solve this nee. Please see my post under

Help creating a profile of contours?
in Need Help? Problems - Solutions

March 15, 2011, 10:03:55 AM
Well you can... but only in the projected 2D plane. :)  I get what you are saying, that would require a 3D curve or 3D polyline tool.

As for vertical contours - there are several way to do this:
You can setup a series of workplanes (UCS) that vertically intersect the horizontal countours. Select each UCS in turn and then use the bezier or polyline tool along with the Nearest snap to snap to each line.
You can use the point tool. In Pro the point tool has a 3D mode and you can snap to 3D objects. You can then use the points to generate a terrain. Or you can use the terrain tool directly. Just remember to turn off all snap EXCEPT nearest on graphic.
Once you have a terrain you can use the Architectual section tool with specific section lines. Or you can use the drafting palette. With either you can create sections. Which can then be exploded and cleaned up if necessary.

* March 18, 2011, 10:36:39 AM
Thanks! I'm with you so far and it seems to be going well.  But, I can't get my drafting palette to create a section by viewline (polyline in my case).  I see the button, but I can't get it to be active. It is always shaded back for inactive.  Perhaps my selection sequence is wrong. Can you please help me further?  Thanks.

**I can get the standard views to insert into the drawing ok.

* March 21, 2011, 10:50:32 AM
Michael/Brian.  Thanks for your help. Here is my file.

March 21, 2011, 11:27:15 AM
You are on the right track.
However, the first step to using the Drafting Palette is to Select the terrain, then click the Create Part/Assembly button.
Then select the type of section you want in the palette and then click the Add button.

I have created a few sections and section derivitives for you on layout1

I have also created an Architectural section line and inserted a derivitive section from it into model space.

Hope this helps

* March 21, 2011, 01:11:37 PM
Thanks Brian. I can duplicate what you have done in the drafting palette except for the aligned sectional views and fragmented views.  I'm trying various sequences and cannot get those buttons to be available.  Can you please help again.  Here is my sequence.

1. Pick the terrain
2. open drafting palette
3. button: Create/part assembly
4. button: select entity CS view button I want
5. button:add
6. drag section into drawing

This sequence works for the predefined views.  I cannot seem to get the button for "create by viewline" to be anything but shaded.

Thoughts? Thanks!

* March 21, 2011, 01:42:32 PM
Thanks! Marek responded as well and it seems paper space vs model space was my problem with the tool being available.

* March 21, 2011, 02:07:23 PM
Brian, Thanks again. Michael helped with your thoughts on inserting directly into model space after creating in paperspace (tools only seem available there).

I'd like to say Michael (on the help line) was very good to work with and helpful! He was knowledgeable and willing to follow my questions thru for additional help.  Please pass this on to the appropriate person.

March 21, 2011, 02:09:57 PM
Will do, and Thanks for your patience.