Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

What are you using DoubleCad for? What is your job?
Mechanical Engineering5
Architecture8
Construction/Structural Engineering4
Carpentry1
Hobby (model construction etc.)8
Civil engineering2

POLL : What are you using DoubleCad for? What is your job?
Read 9469 times
* March 05, 2011, 03:21:26 AM
Hello fellow DoubleCad-Users,

I am currently getting the strong feeling that there are more freelance Architects looking for a less expensive alternative to AutoCad or a CAD system in general than Engineers. AutoCad was IIRC created for mechanical engineering first, and then a lot of add-ons were created for Architects.

Now, since I personally am interested in seeing DoubleCad grow so that I donīt really have to learn another CAD program in the near future, and am heavily promoting it in my personal circle of friends and colleagues, which includes a couple dozens of art directors and production designers, Iīd like to know whoīs interested in what applications.

I am sure that IMSI and you guys behind the development have your surveys done and keep track of peopleīs professions by gathering the info they give you at registration, but Iīd like to see what the "active" members in our community do, or what professionīs using the software the most.

Of course I have in mind to see DoubleCAD implement more and better architectural features ;)

So, please participate, fellow DoubleCad-Users!

Thanks,
Michael

Working with DCad XT V3.1 build 37.0
TurboCad V17 Platinum

* March 10, 2011, 09:53:47 AM
Cīmon guys!!!

You can leave comments, too!!!

Michael

TurboCad V17 Platinum

March 12, 2011, 05:51:14 PM
Good topic! I am also when time permits writing tutorials.

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* March 13, 2011, 01:17:46 PM
Civil Engineer, municipal work, water, sewer, storm.  ACAD is way too expensive for us little guys and they aren't very helpful either.  Then again, I'm only civil sometimes myself. Tee, hee.

* March 13, 2011, 01:19:41 PM
I didn't know how to vote as a Civil Engineer. Perhaps construction is the closest?!

* March 13, 2011, 01:27:55 PM
Added "Civil Engineering" and changed the visibility of the results so people can only see the result after they voted ;)

Thanks folks for your continued interest !

Michael

TurboCad V17 Platinum

* March 13, 2011, 01:30:01 PM
I just voted wrong not seeing the Civil. Thanks for adding.  You can change my vote if you have access. I'll be interested in the results.

March 17, 2011, 02:27:51 PM

I was going to use it to work with various CAD drawings we get in our contracting and construction management business, to draw details and formwork drawings, and to open recent versions of Autocad drawings that my V2000 won't open.

However, I find the basic drafting commands and procedures very obtuse and difficult compared to Designcad or even Autocad, so when the need arises and the pressure is on, I find myself resorting to those to get the work done.

Maybe some day...

* March 21, 2011, 12:23:48 AM

However, I find the basic drafting commands and procedures very obtuse and difficult compared to Designcad or even Autocad, so when the need arises and the pressure is on, I find myself resorting to those to get the work done.

So where do I find a thread about what makes the basic commands so obtuse? :D Seriously, I found myself dumbfounded at first about how to print something, and I find it pretty hard to set up a print in less than 10 minutes, especially if I just need a part of a drawing.

TurboCad V17 Platinum

March 21, 2011, 12:53:34 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat as Rob.  I really, really want DCAD to work well and be my primary CAD software, but when crunch time comes, it is way easier to go back to old reliable ACAD.

Right now my work is a mixed bag of mech design and landscape design/architecture.  I know, strange bed-fellows, but I love both, especially the problem solving aspects of each.

Cheers
~Nick

Home-Dell T3400 Quad Core Q6600 OC'd 3 GHz., 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870, Windows 7 x64
ACAD 2012, DoubleCAD XT Pro v3, Alibre 2012 Expert, 123D

March 24, 2011, 03:05:51 AM
Interesting poll, but my job is not listed.....Structural Engineer  ::) but I'll stick a vote in Construction.

Working for myself I've started using DoubleCad as I can't afford ACAD, simple as that. I use it to  produce G.A's, fabrication drawings, surveys  etc to supplement my calculations and it performs well enough, sometimes I have minor problems, but I get over them.

I can also work on imported ACAD drawings easy enough and use Format Painter to make all notes, dims etc consistent. I did struggle at the start, even though I'm reasonably competent on Acad, however I don't like the latest versions of Acad at  all. Printing was a bit of a challenge, but all ok now.

Rob, I tried DesignCad, bought a copy,read through the manual, but just cannot get to grips with the 3D. I find myself using Sketchup and importing SKP files when I need basic 3D structures, wish I could get into Designcad though.

Bill :)

* April 06, 2011, 12:51:18 PM
Heyyyy,

the Architects are in the lead!  :o  :D :D :D

TurboCad V17 Platinum

* May 12, 2011, 01:26:06 AM
Architects still in the lead...

I wonder how this very not representative poll compares to the "official" stats?

TurboCad V17 Platinum

May 12, 2011, 11:11:20 PM
Agree Michael,

Quite a poor turnout.

Architects may be in the lead  ::), however add construction and civil engineering together.......... :)

Interesting to see 3 Hobbyists too.

Bill  :)

* May 22, 2011, 10:32:04 AM
I'm looking to use it for architectural precast concrete.  Elevations, sections, details.  I also like the diverse formats it will import.  I also do mechanical design and get a bunch of different formats from clients.  Being able to open them in DC is very helpful.