Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

metric hectic & section direction !
Read 12174 times
* January 13, 2011, 09:11:47 AM
I have two strange problems:

1 - a metric drawing from sketchup can be reset in modelspace, but then in paperspace things go wild... making formats is real fun !
2 - I have drawn in drafting palette first a standard "plan" view (how do we change it's height paramater ??) & then successfully made a section from a line (whose properties I had to change to get it to show as the arrows were by default 76800mm !!) Then I wanted to do a plan view as a section by line, thus determining my own view height... to no avail !  though selecting the existing section view & the correctly drawn line it stubbornly only created.... another section (not corresponding to the line then !!).

The metric bugs must be ironed out !!!  (there are over 36000 architects in France alone so Europe's a big market !)...
I think that the section plan at a definable height needs addressing (& yes, I did try to mess about with the "workplane" but the 'by three points" option screwed up 5 times out of 10, snapping someplace bizarre despite checking i had the right snaps on...).
& anyway, it didn't seem to affect the standard views to be made in drafting palette...

If these are not bugs, please someone enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong...
Thanks

January 13, 2011, 11:19:45 PM
paddyclown, could you post the file that is causing problems. This help us BETA testers to see what is happening and we may also post what we can do to fix.

BETA man and proud Kiwi. aka Steve The Kiwi
Supreme writer of DesignCAD Tutorials
Toshiba L50 Laptop - It is OK.
Intel i5-337U @1.8GHz, 12 gig RAM, 64 Bit Win 10
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 14, 2011, 05:15:19 AM
Sure,here are the files concerned; would be glad for some help on this !
Plus, on my post on the "," versus "." issue:   Can't find an option other than the one you suggested (in dimension styles) to modify the decimal separator... Autocrad had this prob back in 2000, but the windows force keyboard to US work around worked on that... not in 2cad :-(

Thanks for any help

Best
Paddy

January 14, 2011, 09:43:27 AM
Paddy, I tried to open the files but the sketchup would not allow anything and the 2cd file, all I got was a rectangle in isometric view. There was a message about an xref that was needed. I suspect the sketchup has something to do with the two '..' in the file name.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 14, 2011, 10:05:39 AM
hmmm, the sketchup model works ok for me :-s & yes, it is xref'd into bcad, thats why there is nothing else in the file...

I'll try & redo a testfile without the ..

thanks anyway, meantime quid the , or . issue ? have any ideas ??

January 14, 2011, 10:21:40 AM
Hi Paddy, thanks for zooming back. Yeah see what you can do there. Might be me too.

The other, I am scratching the head here.  Will need to do some reading. Might be a problem with your 'French system'.

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 14, 2011, 11:23:47 AM
Steve
here are the files redone, hope they work...

& thanks so  much for your time & effort !

January 14, 2011, 02:09:23 PM
Got the files down this time Paddy. I use mainly Google Chrome, it is good, but sometimes I find a problem getting files over from forums so I tend to go back to IE8. See what we can do. Others may post back too so you may see a couple of replies.

EDIT: OK, I took a look at modelspace and your units are 'M' and you units in paperspace are 'mm'. Thisis quite possibly why your 76800mm. I will come back on the height issue.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:25:11 PM by SteveMS »

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 15, 2011, 02:02:46 AM
Steve
& as I said on the other thread, maybe the problem is to do with mm & m... we'll see, but it does seem normal to me to work in m in modelspace & mm for the paper formats in paperspace, so i can't be the only idiot out here having hassles with this i guess :-) after all in autocad & then bricscad i've been doing that for eons with no hassles...

If you find some other solution, do please let me know :-)

Thanks once again,
paddy

January 15, 2011, 02:15:29 AM
Hi Paddy, yes, what you say I can understand, but I would have thought that the units of measure would be the same in both spaces. I am an engineer and all is done in mm, so I am not sure about you house builders. I'll take a look in autodog too and see what happens.

If I find a solution, I will let youknow.

I am going to hit the sack now as it is 11.15pm.

how did you get on with the comma problem? I think it might be the system separator thing. Let us know please?

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVidia GeForce GT 740M

* January 15, 2011, 02:49:50 AM
Steve, the comma thing worked a dream thanks !  Though I hope the developpers will think of us french system users in the future so as not to have to mess with windows :-)

have a good well earned rest !

best

Paddy

* January 15, 2011, 02:52:50 AM
on the other issue, the section thingy:

I think there is a slight misunderstanding: moving a drawing I understood, infact what i need to do is make it possible to define where a plan view section is taken, ie what height from a given floor plane... you see I thought that by defining a line through a cross section at a given height would produce a horizontal section, not another vertical one !
This is very peculiar because from a plan view the section by line tool works very well ! it's a dream even :-) but logically from an orthogonal projection point of view, a section line on the long section should produce a plan if you see what I mean...

Anyway, maybe it's just a bug.

Thanks very much though for all your time & effort

Best,

Paddy

* January 16, 2011, 08:31:53 AM
Hi Paddy and Steve.
 I have tried examples, which are attached and have such comments:
  - If you are trying to do sections on the drawings posted by you, it appears the same errors, which you write
-I tried to make sections 3D manhole created in TurboCAD and open in DoubleCAD 3D and everything was OK. I could do horizontal and vertical sections in the paper space using the view line, with  height set up by me , and when I put the view line over the whole cross-section I gotg a top view
-I created a simple drawing of DCAD with tools, "Architectural" - four walls and a roof, and there were  the same bugs in sections. As long as I did not use  tool "explode"I have not seen the roof in sections at all.
-I created a similar model without using architectural tools  (I attach this drawing p2.2cd (Dcad v3.1) - you can check whether you will be able to obtain such cross sections you want) and it was impossible to do all the sections correctly.It looks like this was due to the fact that errors occur, when we use the tools "wall", "roof".

Paddy
When I opened your drawings as the results I got for test2.skp - snap3.jpg  (after setting the World Plan) and snap4.jpg for test2 ter.2cd - (after setting the World Plan)

By the way, we can set the scale in paper space at the following locations
1 - click with right mouse button on name of paper space (for example "short section_1") and then "Properties / Space Units"
2 first left mouse button and then right on Viewport and then "Properties /Vieport / Scale (Fixed-should be selected)
3 in "Edit Style Properties"in the Drafting Palette
and they all have influence on each other, so that should be well set
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:55:13 AM by Marek »

* January 16, 2011, 09:55:31 AM
Marek

Firstly, thanks for spending time on this.
Secondly, I'll look at the different settings that you describe, but it does seem from what you are saying that I have stumbled on some serious bug issues as the whole interest I have in 2cad is the sketchup xref workflow :-)  &/or architectural objects such as wall etc !  So if I understand correctly, for the moment I can't get reliable 2d drawings in 2cad from either of these input methods :-( ... Shame, as I really beleive in working in 3d & then just outputti,ng working drawings when & if needed... unless of course we can get the whole industry to adopt 3d files & give contractors 3d files to work from !  (dream on Paddy I hear you say !)

I hope you get it all sorted soon as then I would seriously consider buying this product, as I'm sure would several colleagues (all of us are looking for affordable software, adapted to smaller architecture practices - we can't all invent/afford katyia based products like Gehry !) - though some larger firms I know might dump Revit & those Autothingy people who take too much profit and do mediocre programs...
I really do believe in smaller software companies with competitive products (such as Bricscad, which I bought when I founded my company as they do a good Autocad-like at reasonable prices & they fix their bugs seriously & often !)...

Well, keep up the good work, & when you have a reliable product for my needs I'll be more than happy to promote it !

All the best,

Paddy

* January 16, 2011, 11:04:10 AM
Paddy
 I am only a beta tester like Steve. This  what I have described,  are only my observations and thoughts on this topic. Title DCAD Developer is entitled to this forum and means that I'm interested in creating SDK projects for DCAD . (look in the  topic with link - http://forums.doublecad.com/index.php?topic=1019.0). DoubleCAD team has a lot of work, as usual, but I think that only someone from the team could give an arbitrary explanationn on this topic. This  what I described is only my personal observations.
Marek