Author Topic: Area of Closed, Curved Shapes; General Copy-Paste  (Read 1942 times)

Adam_Carr

Area of Closed, Curved Shapes; General Copy-Paste
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:09:56 AM »
I am working with the trial version of DoubleCad XT Pro. My company recently transitioned to server-based versions of AutoCad which makes it impossible for me to work outside of a company location so I am trying to find a drawing package that works for me. Anyway, I often draw shapes that are meant for casting in copper-based alloys. Quickly measuring the area of circles and other closed, curved shapes is very important to my productivity. One shape that I have struggled to measure is in the attached document. Any help with this would be appreciated.

While assembling this note I realized that copy and paste carries with it the black background and seems to exclude the annotation. Is there no way to copy and paste a selected shape without these issues?

Thanks very much for the help.

Doug

• Administrator
Re: Area of Closed, Curved Shapes; General Copy-Paste
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:36:20 AM »
Hi,
Please attach the document and we will take a loook.

Thanks.

Adam_Carr

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:02:15 AM »
Duh. Sorry.

thebrian

• Administrator
  • Master of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:03:36 AM »
First, make sure it is one closed object.
Use Modify | Join Polyline  to connect all the segments into one closed shape.

Then select the object.
Go to the Selecrtion Info Palette (Tools | Palettes | Selection Info)
Expand the section under Metrics, there it will display the area of the object in the current space units your derawing is set to.

Adam_Carr

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:20:37 AM »
Thanks very much. Works fine. A similar sequence is required in AutoCad so I tried the join polyline steps but I was looking for output using the Measure Area task which seems not to work smoothly. Thanks again.