Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

Problem using blocks with attributes, created in AutoCAD
Read 21715 times
* April 14, 2010, 09:25:59 PM
Hi,

When I try to use blocks with text Attributes (which were created in AutoCAD), in v2 the Attribute mode Preset is always checked. This means that I can't change the block attributes unless I edit and re-save the block. A tedious task for dozens of blocks.

Is this a bug, or something that can be easily changed?

Thanks for an otherwise great product.

April 15, 2010, 09:25:53 AM
Hello,

You can edit a block attribute by simply right-clicking the block and selecting Properties|Block Attribute and entering a new value. (see image).

Please let me know if this works for you.

* April 15, 2010, 05:50:02 PM
I don't think you understood the problem...

When I try to use blocks with text Attributes (which were created in AutoCAD), in v2 the Attribute mode Preset is always checked. This means that I can't change the block attributes unless I edit and re-save the block.

I can't change the Attribute when I use blocks created in AutoCAD. The Preset mode is always checked. I can't un-check it (and thus use the block) unless I edit and resave the block.

April 15, 2010, 05:56:04 PM
hmm.  Can you send me a sample DWG file for this?  The example above is a block with attributes created in AutoCAD,  I simply right-click the block and select properties to edit the AutoCAD block attribute in DoubleCAD.  

Maybe I'm missing something here, so please attach a file and I'll take a look

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:53:39 PM by Doug »

* April 16, 2010, 08:34:09 AM
It seems to me that is important how the block was created in Acad. That's a quote from page 337  "Reference manuals" for Dcadv2 " Preset: Sets the attribute to its default value when you insert a block containing a preset attribute. In AutoCAD, you are not prompted for a value if the AutoCAD variable ATTDIA is set to 0. This flag has no effect in DoubleCAD as it takes place in AutoCAD when the variable ATTDIA is set to 1.". I don't know if it is possible change for all blocks at once without editing "Preset " to unchecked.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:37:25 AM by Marek »

April 16, 2010, 09:36:31 AM

Looking at AutoCAD I noticed that the Preset value  is unchecked by default.  When you define your block attribute and the Preset box is checked, you cannot change the value upon Insert as you have indicated unless you redefine the block.  (in AutoCAD or DoubleCAD)

DoubleCAD correctly inherits the AutoCAD attribute "Preset" value and that is the correct behaviour.

In short, you would have to redefine your block without the 'Preset' checked in AutoCAD or DoubleCAD if that's they way the block was created.

Hope that makes sense and thanks for the clarification.

Marek - Thanks for your input.  That section in the DoubleCAD help file on ATTDIA is not quite correct and will need to be updated. (ATTDIA 1 displays a dialog box for attribute value prompt, setting to 0 displays the prompt at the command line vs. not displaying prompt at all like a preset attribute- this is the error in help manual)

I don't think you understood the problem...

When I try to use blocks with text Attributes (which were created in AutoCAD), in v2 the Attribute mode Preset is always checked. This means that I can't change the block attributes unless I edit and re-save the block.

I can't change the Attribute when I use blocks created in AutoCAD. The Preset mode is always checked. I can't uncheck it (and thus use the block) unless I edit and resave the block.

* April 16, 2010, 09:59:30 AM
Thanks Doug. Sorry , but  I do not use Acad now and I could not see how   settings ATTDIA works. I remembered only that how you wrote it "DCAD inherits the settings block attributes from Acad".

* April 18, 2010, 12:55:15 AM
Thank you for your comments guys, much appreciated.

I checked and, yes, the Preset tag is ticked in the blocks I am trying to use from AutoCAD, However in AutoCAD I can still edit the attribute if I want to (i.e. the Preset feature just makes it easy to have some default text without needing to enter the same thing every time the same block is entered.)

I still can't understand why DoubleCAD will not let me edit the attribute text at all (all fields are greyed out) - even after I have inserted the block. Having a Preset attribute that can't ever be edited is the same as simply having some non-attribute text, isn't it?

So in summary, I can see that the Preset value is correctly inherited in DoubleCAD form AutoCAD. However because the Preset value is set I can never edit the attribute at all in DoubleCAD, whereas I can in AutoCAD.

April 18, 2010, 07:22:42 AM

So in summary, I can see that the Preset value is correctly inherited in DoubleCAD form AutoCAD. However because the Preset value is set I can never edit the attribute at all in DoubleCAD, whereas I can in AutoCAD.

This does seem strange and I agree that if you can't change a Preset, then it pretty much is just plain text and not an attribute.  We'll log this as a bug and see what we can do to fix this.

Thanks and glad things are cleared up.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:44:19 AM by Doug »

* April 18, 2010, 03:43:41 PM
Cheers Doug. Will eagerly await a fix so I can migrate completely to DoubleCad (a number of the features make it nicer, for me, to use than AutoCad). Redefining all of my electrical schematic blocks is unfortunately not an option at present.

* April 22, 2010, 09:01:47 PM
Hi Tripplecad, I do a lot of electrical as well and use symbol blocks with text attributes. All of my attributes have a preset value which is the default value and is changeable after insertion. The settings I use for all text attributes are:

Invisible = OFF
Constant = OFF
Verify = OFF
Preset = ON
Value = the default value I want

My original symbol blocks were made in Acad 2002 and when I insert (copy) them into XT, I cannot modify any of the block text attributes (they are all grayed out) until after I save the drawing, close it and then reopen it. For compatibility reasons I always use the DWG 2000-2003 format when I save drawings. In XT V1 I had noticed that if I didn't use a preset with a filled in value, that I could not even see it in the XT property dialog. To get around this, I always make sure the value is never left blank when defining attributes. True XT has some quirks when dealing with attributes but it is possible to get it working like you want.

One other issue you may run across is if you have attributes in your title block and have already placed multiple title blocks in paper space. If you then try and edit the master title block and save changes to the block, the copies in paper space may not reflect the changes. To fix this, delete the block insertions in paper space and then re-insert them using your modified title block, then all your changes should be present.

Also once you have a block in your drawing, don't try and use <ctrl> C/<ctrl> V to copy it as XT will then ask you if you want to replace the original block. The regular command line COPY works fine though...

On the plus side, mirroring of blocks with text attributes works as expected in XT where as in Acad, the font justification was all screwed up.

I too am eager for enhancements in this area, so good luck all around!

Bill
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:27:05 PM by BILL62 »

* April 23, 2010, 06:56:17 PM
Yes! (add high-fives here  ;D )

Thanks so much for that Bill; works brilliantly! Looks like your setup is very similar (same?) to mine. Even better is that I already have all my symbols in a reference drawing so I re-saved that in XT and voila! they're all there ready to use.

I won't have to wait after all.

Cheers,
TC