Register

DoubleCAD XT v5 has released

DoubleCAD XT v2 30 days of free use of DoubleCAD XT Pro v2
Read 12254 times
* February 11, 2010, 08:26:22 AM
I downloaded this option a week ago to Windows 7 (a new install on my computer) and absolutely could not get it to run. After starting, the program would freeze and had to be ended with Windows Task Manager. I tried numerous configurations using Window 7 compatibility wizard to no avail. Finally I removed the new program and reinstalled v1.1. (It has a glitch or two, but they can be worked around.) Now I have received an email notice of a "new" download available. So my questions are:1) Is this the same version as last week, or is it indeed new? and 2) Has anyone tried this on a Windows 7 computer, and if so with what results?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:13:59 AM by Richard »

February 11, 2010, 10:18:09 AM
Richard

It is the same build. It has been tested on 7, any many users have it running in Win 7 successfully. If you can give us some system details we may be able to assist.

* February 11, 2010, 11:07:16 AM
The Computer is an HP a1640n recently reconfigured to Windows 7 Pro.32 bit, 6gb Ram (3.5gb usable) with lots of room on the 250gb hard drive.

I am using an ATI display card with two monitors, managed by Win 7.

When I installed and ran the program it would open and then freeze.

February 11, 2010, 05:56:38 PM
Brian may have more info in the morning, but is it possible to tell us if running it in a mode with a single monitor also hangs.  I can't recall specifically, but I believe there may have been an issue before with this type of dual monitor use and would love to know if that isolates the issue.

DoubleCAD XT Pro on XP Pro...

* February 11, 2010, 06:22:35 PM
Before I can try running with a single monitor, I will need to re-download the program, since I deleted it when it would not run. That will have to wait until tomorrow, because, for whatever reason, the download is operating so slowly that it is predicting 4 hours and 50 minutes to complete. (My download speed is 11000kb/sec but the server is responding with 10kb/sec. I will let you know what I learn when I can get it reinstalled.

Just FYI - I have been running v1.1 with the double monitor set-up on this computer under Windows XP for some time. I also can run it on the Win 7 installation, although it tends to hang on the splash screen at startup.

February 11, 2010, 11:51:17 PM
That 1.1 was running in that configuration probably negates my suspicion.

Sorry about the download times.  We are getting a LOT of traffic today.  We've tried sending emails out to notify people about v2 in batches so that we wouldn't have everyone hitting at once, but it sounds like we'll need to keep a close eye on performance in case this continues.  Thanks for letting us know.

* February 12, 2010, 10:52:42 AM
Hi. I use  two monitors and Windows 7 Home Premium without problem. During opening program , starting window can be on one monitor and main window on second and all is OK.  I think about it, if Richard's HP a1640n , has like laptops preinstallation kit with all drivers on one CD. It may includes elements with "empowering or accelerating technology". For treeman it caused problems on his laptop. I met situations that it caused problems with many programs. Sometimes drivers on such preinstallation CD are outdated.

* February 12, 2010, 09:57:51 PM
I have re-downloaded V2/Pro v2 and re-installed. I got the same result (freezes after opening.) I then disabled one monitor and ran the program and got exactly the same result. I then retried all the compability modes, without success. When I got a Windows error message, it was "DoubleCAD TCSart Module has stopped working."

Just curiously, is there a version of DC XT v2 without the Pro trial I could try? Maybe it's Pro that has the problem.

* February 13, 2010, 02:21:05 PM
Pro isn't the problem... we've had record downloads of DC XT v2 with the Pro bonus features... in the few instances of installation problems, it's been the local machine situation.  Please call our customer service support line for help with your situation (1.800.833.8082) during regular business hours... I'm embarrassed to say, however, that folks won't be in on Mon because of the President's Day holiday... sorry for this trouble and thank you for your patience!

February 13, 2010, 07:29:21 PM
Unfortunately I'm not the expert at this part, so my advice isn't as good as some on freeze issues, etc.  I believe the TCstart module is the same on both applications though, so probably switching wouldn't make a bit of difference.  I wonder if there isn't some sort of Data Execution Prevention or other security setting that is keeping it from functioning properly.  I assume you are trying this while stilled logged in as a user with administrative rights.  If you right click on the application and select to Run As Administrator does it make any difference? 

Are there any things about your system configuration or how you installed it that might be out of the ordinary?  For example, did you install it for only one user, or on a secondary hard disk, or are you trying to run it over a network or something?  Any little bit of information just provides us (or better the guys that really know what they're talking about) to diagnose the issue better.

* February 14, 2010, 09:15:03 AM
To the best of my knowledge there is nothing unusual about the way the program was installed or in the way I am trying to run it. There is only one user account on this computer, (mine) and it is an administrator account. DC is installed and running from the "C" drive, with no special atributes that I am aware of.

There are a many programs installed and this is the only one I'm having this problem with. I did "Run as administrator" without any difference in the way it runs (or doesn't).

Some additonal info: When the progroam opens the initial splash screen which appears to be a file selection screen opens, and it is viable - I can view files in the "look in" window, and I can grab the screen and move it around on the desktop.  Then, within 30 seconds or so the main drawing window opens, and at that point the program freezes, and I get the attached error message screen.  If I click "Close program" the message window closes, but the DC window does not, and the only way I can close it is with task manager. Other programs continue to run behind, or on top of DC, although I cannot see the screen to use mouse controls, keyboard functions can be used.

I don't know if any of this is helpful or not. I will call the support folks tomorrow.

* February 14, 2010, 06:29:18 PM
I also have the same conditions.
When starting starting DoubleCad xt pro v2 and I don't select either OPEN or NEW at the startup window within about 15 seconds the window closes and the design window opens but the program is frozen and can only be closed with task manager. If I select a file to load or new the design drawing window opens and runs correctly.

Windows 7 64bit
HP DM3-1030us
4 gb memory
ATI HD3200 with shared video

* February 14, 2010, 08:37:27 PM
That's very interesting. I tried it that way and it seems to work, although I haven't tried a wide variety of functions yet. How did you happen to discover this work around?

February 14, 2010, 09:52:33 PM
wow.  Thanks.  This should give us much more to look at.  So if you act right away it operate, but if you leave it to load completely on its own it hangs.  I really appreciate the specifics.

* February 15, 2010, 06:35:39 AM
That appears to be the case. I will have some time today to explore the program and test functionality. Can you give me an idea of where functions are found in Pro that are not found in DC XT? I would like to see if they work.